Thread: Changing cars with Motability

Changing cars with Motability

Hello everyone,

I want to sing the praise for Motability and a local car dealership. I received my change of vehicle letter from Motability and it clearly set out the procedure. This will be my second car on the scheme and I was apprehensive about the process. I need not have worried as they make it easy.

I had done some research and had a shortlist using the Motability website and I had been to the dealers on my list. When we have a disability there are lots of things that can make life easier. Will my hoist and scooter fit and what will make me safer on the road. Technology in the motor industry has advanced hugely in recent years. Things like blind spot warnings, lane assist, emergency braking system and reversing camera are often available on most cars. Also to make life easier, keyless entry so you donít have to search for the key in your bag or worse when you drop them and canít bend down. Also when you are hanging on to your walker in a gale, automatic tailgate opening is nice to have.

Having reached my decision on a car (I had ruled out the others following test drives) I had my final choice to assess so I arranged to meet the dealer who sent me a brief video so I would know who I was meeting. He met me at the door and parked my car and I shuffled into the showroom with my walker. The salesman took photos of my hoist and then rang the hoist fitters to see if it could be transferred since I own it. Apparently I would need a different hoist but if I order it with the car it would only cost £120 as opposed to £1150 which was the cost when installed 3 years ago.

Following the test drive I was convinced so I ordered the vehicle which will be ready in 12 weeks. My current car will need an MOT before going back but Motability pay for this and the new car dealership take my car and supply the new one so I donít have the hassle of returning it to the other dealership.

All in all a great service from Motability and the dealership.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Many thanks Barry for the very helpful and comprehensive account. Sounds like you've got your ideal vehicle.

I've heard of Motability, but that's about all. Could you go back a bit and explain how one joins the scheme, if that's what it is. How do the finances work?

I can still drive a conventional car. But in the future...….

Thanks

Doug

Hello Barry and Doug,

Thank you Barry for letting us know about your great experience with Motability. It is good to hear that they do such wonderful work.

Like you Doug, I have decided to look into Motability, in case It is useful for me in future. There are two useful websites - 'Motability Charity' website explains who is eligible for the scheme etc and on that website there is a link to the 'Motability Scheme' website. To be eligible, you need to be in receipt of one of the disability benefits that are listed on the 'Motibility Charity' website, and they are also listed in the 'Introduction Guide to the Motability Scheme' that can be downloaded from that website. (If you click on 'downloads' on the front page of the 'Motability Charity' website, it will take you to several guides about the Motibiliy Scheme, that can all be downloaded).

To go to the 'Motability Charity' website, please click on the link below - and happy reading!

https://www.motability.org.uk/?ssSou...eId=motability

Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 8th December 2018 at 22:26.
    July 1969 science enabled mankind's first step on the Moon.... over 49 years later and sadly still no scientific breakthrough to cure MND.
    Trying to take one day at a time ..... but it's not easy!

Hi Doug,

Kayleigh has kindly posted a link to the website but for the benefit of anyone interested I pracis the basics.

1. You need the higher rate of PIP or disability allowance
    2. You must have 12 months remaining on your benefit
    3. Over 65 years of age doesn’t qualify unless you are already on the scheme (why anyone over 65 should be restricted is beyond me)

Barry

Many thanks Barry and Kayleigh.

The under 65 limit excludes me I'm afraid.

Doug

That is such a shame that you do not qualify Doug! I thought that I had given you some interesting bed-time reading there!

I thought that being 'ageist' was against the law these days, but as they are a charity they might be allowed to specify age limits due to limited funds? There is probably a 'justifiable' reason, but in the spirit of 'inclusion' that is encouraged in today's society, I think it is unfair,as disability affects all age groups! It may be that people who are 65 years young or older get 'extra' benefits which disqualifies them from the Scheme, but with the complication of the benefits system, who knows? It says on the Motability Scheme website that Attendance Allowance cannot be used to pay into the scheme, and as that allowance can only be paid to people aged 65 and over, that may go some way to explaining why they are not eligible. Shame that they cannot pay into the scheme at all though!

I expect that out of the kindness of his heart, the boss of Motability will donate some of his £2.2 million bonus to the charity - but who am I kidding?!!! (Interestingly, the controversial issue of his bonus etc was in the news this week)

Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 8th December 2018 at 22:35.
    July 1969 science enabled mankind's first step on the Moon.... over 49 years later and sadly still no scientific breakthrough to cure MND.

Hi Kayleigh,

I’m afraid we can’t blame Motability as it is the DWP who set the rules in this case. Bloody government to take responsibility for the ageism although it would be nice to have a contribution from the CEO’s salary.

Barry

Hi Barry,

Thanks for clarifying that. In some ways it seems worse that it is the Government that has excluded people from the Scheme due to their age, as I would have thought that the Government would want to set a good example by being inclusive rather than 'ageist'. I expect that there is a logical explanation behind the DWP setting this rule, but on the face of it, it seems a bit strange to me! Looking on the bright side of things, at least it seems that Motability provides a very good service to the people who they do help.

Yes, I agree that it would be nice if the CEO of Motability could donate some of his salary and 2.2 million bonus to charity. In contrast, coming back to the reality of life for the folk on this forum... today we have been discussing the most cost effective way to obtain just one riser/recliner chair. If that CEO wanted one, he wouldn't have to worry about the cost - it wouldn't even dent his bank balance if he bought a whole warehouse of the things! Oh well, that's life I suppose.

Best wishes,
    Kayleigh
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 9th December 2018 at 13:41.