Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Partner Has Mnd symptoms Any help

Forum Member

Partner Has Mnd symptoms Any help

hello everyone
    sorry about the grammar, i'm still thinking the worst for my hubby.
    symptoms started july , feeling of numbness under toes
    started limping, went to doctors they said he had sciatica sent him to a osteopath,
    where he was given a diagnosis of a damaged peroneal nerve
    after 4/5 visits the treatment didnt help, he was then using a crutch to get about
    infact symtoms went all the way from toe to thigh, and then started on the other leg.
    doctor ordered a lumbar and sacral mri, hubby is now using a zimmer frame to be mobile
    scan result came back and doctor said that it showed that a few of the disc that was slightly damaged, but didnt think that was the cause of the problem
    so he said he make 2 appointments
    one with neurosurgeon to look at the mri scan as it wasnt that clear ?
    and another appt for neurology
    in the meantime symptoms seems to be stable
    apart from some muscle spams, if he has sat down for a period of time
    i know im grasping at straws hoping that it could be damaged disc causing thius and not mnd
    with 3 children and christmas around the corner , dont know how i cope
    love
    emma

Hi Emma and welcome to the forum,

Sorry to hear about your husband's troubles especially this time of year.

If it's not disc trouble, then there's quite a lot of other things that it could be, which is not good news but better than Mnd. If something is showing up on the mri scan then it is probably not Mnd unless he has two things wrong.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Emma,

What MND symptoms has he, as in why do you you think it could be MND??

Love Ellie.
    Last edited by Ellie; 10th December 2018 at 17:15.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    hi terry
    thank you for your quick reply
    i was in a trance when i wrote that, he does have other symptoms
    foot drop, dosent happen all the time but drags his foot when trying to walk , like he cant lift them of the floor (but he is capable of lifting both legs lying or sitting down
    muscle spasms,
    muscle tremors in the thighs (comes and goes)
    i presumed that he might have mnd, because of the symptoms he is showing ,also my gp ruled out MS
    and i cant seem to see any other condition that he might be suffering from
    once again thanks
    love emma

Forum Member
    hi Ellie
    sorry he does have other symptoms i have wrote them down i reply to terry
    thanks
    love
    emma

Hi Emma. I had a trapped peroneal nerve released in an operation a few years before any MND symptoms. But when I first saw a neurologist he focused on my new foot drop as being the peroneal nerve or something deriving from pressure on one or other spinal disc. He sent me for a spinal MRI. That showed severly degenerated discs but not a reason for foot drop. I didn't see another neurologist for about a year (because the first one discharged me). I'm happy that your husband got a second referal sharpish. I hope that you all have a nice Christmas despite the understandable worry about symptoms and possible diagnoses. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    hi lynne
    thanks for the reply, did you manage to walk again after the operation, and do you think the drop foot was your first sign of mnd
    we have a appointment in salford on thursday
    thanks again
    emma

When I had the op it was after I had an episode of my right leg going dead from the knee. I was out with my husband at an Irish music session. I started standing up to go to the loo and nearly fell flat on my face. I didn't have dropped foot then, but sometimes tripped myself up if running. I had had a dead feeling down a line of my ankle and a little in my lower leg. I never had the leg go dead again after the op but I still had the tripping up problem if I ran. I was a fast walker and walked miles per day then. This was definitely not MND. I was told that seeing as the peroneal nerve had been trapped for many years, then a full recovery was unlikely. It was 2 or 3 years later that the slight foot drop and other symptoms started. The delay in my diagnosis was partly to do with my history of a trapped peroneal nerve and also my existing severe back problems. The op I had was child's play. I could walk immediately after. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Hi again Emma, who are you seeing at Salford. I saw one of the team (who's name I forget) until my diagnosis and then was passed on to Miss Amina Chaouch and her team. I don't know if I've spelled her name correctly and can't be bothered getting up to check (feeling tired). Lynne

Forum Member
    hi lynne
    its at the neurosurgery department
    will drop you a line , and let you know,how he got on
    thanks
    emma