Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Given up walking outside

Given up walking outside

Taking mum to outpaitent appt. walked up a nice ramped kerb only to trip on the dreadfully uneven pavement. Lost a tooth chipped another grazed most of my face. Kept me in A&E for 5hours without trying to put the tooth back. Emergency dentist has attempted to rescue the tooth but she said it should have been done within 1hr. My daughter has found me a lightweight folding wheelchair so she can take me Christmas shopping while I wait for neuro-physio to assess my mobility.... If I saw me walking at work, I wouldn't let me.

Forum Member
    So sorry to hear of your fall. What a long wait in A nd E. Take care and keep safe x

Hi BN,

I hope you are feeling a little better today and you find a solution for your broken tooth. If you can use a walker then try to keep walking but remember it requires maximum concentration and focus on looking down as well as forward. Don’t allow any distractions when walking and eventually you will master the act of being in your own bubble but make sure your family and friends know what you are doing. My wife had a habit of holding one side of my rollator until I told her that was making it difficult to control.

I don’t want to sound like I am lecturing you but falls can be our biggest enemy and I speak from experience. Sometimes it is good to rely on a wheelchair or scooter but I believe whilst we can walk, even if it with an aid, then we need to keep going.
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Well said Barry. I have realised that I can only walk safely by going very slowly, looking down and ahead and totally focusing on my task. So, yes this is my bubble. The few times that I have fallen when using a walker is when I've lost my focus, my concentration. I know that constant wheelchair use isn't far away. But I'll do whatever I can while I can
    Short distances on a flat surface if not expected to hurry is ok. But longer distances or uneven or sloping surfaces then a wheelchair is my safest option. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    So sorry for your bad fall, broken nails . It really shakes you up physically and mentally too.
    I hope you heal quickly and get your tooth fixed soon.

I can just about manage with a rollator at home although I too need to concentrate and not speak to anyone. I agree with Barry that people need to be aware of this. ( My husband keeps trying to talk or encourage me !)

When I am out I use a wheelchair or mobility scooter. I don't know why I resisted this for so long as it gives me more freedom to go longer distances and different places without struggling or falling.

At my last clinic visit the neurologist said that the biggest risk for people at my stage of MND was a bad fall .

Take Care and I hope you feel better soon.
    Love Debbie x

Duplicate post deleted.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hello BN,

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad fall and lost a tooth. It can't have been much fun to have such a long wait in A&E either! I hope that your are feeling a bit better today.

Hopefully, it is not very long until your appointment with your physio.In the meantime, it is great that your daughter managed to get a lightweight wheelchair so that you can get out and about safely. I had to wait for quite a few weeks to get my manual wheelchair from wheelchair services (via my physio) and it is good and sturdy .... but even my husband says it is rather heavy to lift in and out of the car boot.

Due to my pesky legs, when I am outside I always use a wheelchair because the uneven pavements, curbs and slopes make it too hazardous for me to use a rollator. My physio provided me with a 3 wheeled rollator which I use indoors. It is a case of walking slowly and carefully with rollator, and I have never fallen whilst using it.
    If I want to be more of a Speedy Gonzales or my legs are tired, I use my electric wheelchair. For me, it is a case of sometimes moving like a tortoise with the rollator (ok, maybe not quite as slow as a tortoise! ) but at other times, moving like a hare in the electric wheelchair!

I hope you enjoy Christmas shopping with your daughter (there is nothing like a bit of retail therapy for cheering us girls up!).

Love,
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 12th December 2018 at 18:03.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Thanks all before the fall I was walking unaided indoors but now rely on the stick. With better walking aides I would certainly be more confident walking outside. But I fear by the time I get seen by physio I will need hoisting. And apparently I have been put on a wait list for long-term OT. They are something else in this region. My CNS os not impressed with them.

Hello Broken Nails,
    Hopefully your CNS can do something to get you assessed by an OT and physio sooner rather than later. Or, maybe think about contacting the MNDA, to see if they have a Regional Care Development Adviser in your area who may be able to hurry things along? It is not good if you have to wait months for a basic piece of equipment when, for health and safety reasons, you need it now. I would have thought the local authority would have a responsibility to make sure that you are seen by an OT and physio within a reasonable amount of time, so that any equipment you are entitled to free of charge is supplied to you as and when you need it. The MNDA may know how long after being diagnosed with MND, a person should have to wait to be assessed by medical professionals such as a physio and OT. I would hate to think of you having a fall, especially as this could probably be prevented if you were supplied with a Rollator. It is ridiculous that anyone should have to wait for months for a basic bit of essential equipment like a Rollator. Even if you do not use it outside, it will make you much more stable walking inside than with a walking stick, especially if your legs tend to get tired after walking a short distance.
    I hope things soon get sorted out for you.
    Best wishes,
    Kayleigh
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 15th December 2018 at 23:48.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Hi BN ,

You must make sure you are safe when moving around. Please contact your MNDA local RCDA as Kayleigh has suggested and you Should be entitled to a rollator. Statutory service tend to offer a 3 wheeled version which is not as safe or manageable as a 4 wheeler.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!