Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Given up walking outside

Hello Broken Nails,

I wasn't completely sure if the RCDA was the right person to contact, but it is great that 'wise owl' Barry has just posted, because he has confirmed that it is. (I am very much a Rookie on this forum compared to Barry and so I always take notice of his wise advice!)

As Barry has pointed out, the standard issue 3 wheeled rollators are not as sturdy as the 4 wheelers, but I find that my 3 wheeler perfectly adequate for indoor use and have never fallen whilst using it. I can understand why Barry recommends a sturdier 4 wheeler though, especially if you want one suitable for indoors and outdoors, because ideally you need one that works as well as possible when coping with uneven pavements etc.

Best wishes
    Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    Hi BN

Hope you're feeling better after your fall. I had a couple of falls in the house using my rollator, when it went faster than my feet. I think it was Terry , who suggested using weights to slow it down so I use these and it really helps. You can fill milk cartons with water or plastic bottles. I use my rollator to steady myself so it needs to be firm

The physio gave me some Velcro foot ups to help lift my feet and I have got some to go around bare feet for in the house. They really help too but I need help putting them on as they have to be really tight.

Hope this helps.
    Love Debbie x

Hi Deb & BN,

I have a gallon of water in mine. It makes so much difference to the stability of the walker.

You won't need it to start with but well worth trying especially if your balance gets worse.

Love Terry

My OT visited me at home and I showed her how I transport hot drinks from my kitchen to the lounge using my 4 wheeled walker which has a seat and a tray attached. The OT suggested a trolley and one was supplied but I soon found it was not suitable. I have hard flooring and the trolley was running away from me as unlike my walker the trolley has no brakes. I also found myself kicking the wheels as the trolley is narrower than my walker therefore my feet don’t fit between. I don’t know who designs these aids but they are not fit for purpose.
    So it’s back to my indoor walker which was £42 at my local disability shop. The MNDA kindly bought my outdoor walker which is lightweight so I can lift it into the car.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

I agree with you Barry, a trolley without brakes does not seem practical at all! The combination of my wobbly legs and a trolley without brakes would spell out disaster. I would soon end up tripping and ending up on the floor - probably along with whatever I had put on the trays (not a pretty sight!).

I quite like the look of the deluxe model on the Careco website - it's probably not the cheapest, but looks quite sleek to me and does have brakes.

https://www.careco.co.uk/item-p-dl06...table-trolley/

I will keep in mind Terry's suggestion of putting a gallon of water in the bag of my rollator, to add more weight when my balance becomes more iffy. In the meantime, instead of water, a bottle of something more festive, like good old Babycham or Eggnog, works very well for me (don't forget the straw!).

Best wishes
    Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Hi Kayleigh,

Thank you for posting this link. The trolley looks ideal so I will email my OT to see if they can provide one. If not then I will buy it.

You maybe a newbie but your contribution to the forum is commendable.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the really good advice and useful links on here. I like Kayleigh's idea of weighting the rollator with bottles of festive cheer!

Go Carefully,
    Love Debbie x

Hello Barry and all,

Thank you for your kind words about me Barry. I have learnt so much since joining this forum and have got so much wonderful support from you and others who have welcomed me into this 'forum family' - many thanks to you all!

Barry, I hope all goes well with your request for your OT to provide you with a trolley with brakes. I was a bit concerned about the possibility of walking legs knocking into the trays, but hopefully the trays are positioned to ensure that this does not happen. As the saying goes, 'the proof is in the pudding' and the excellent reviews of this product on the Careco website seem very re-assuring.

Best wishes

Kayleigh

Thanks all for your support here. Frankly it has been getting me down with all these referrald being made and so far the only definate response I have is from SALT which is for Jan.. When I was still working early Sept now it's hard to stand even, and I can't pull up my own underwear. I feel I have no time for their wait lists.

Hi Broken Nails,

Sorry to hear that you do not seem to be getting the support from the medical professionals that you need. It is good that it is not long before you see a SALT, but I can completely understand why you are fed up because it sounds like you need urgent support from a physio and OT as well.

The appropriate support was rather slow to reach me after my diagnosis, and I found that talking to the MNDA's RCDA in my region really helpful. If you have not done so already, it is well worth e-mailing or phoning the RCDA in your region for advice and help.

This is a link to the list of RCDAs, in case you need it.

https://www.mndassociation.org/getti...ment-advisers/

Best wishes,
    Kayleigh x