Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Given up walking outside

Kayleigh at the moment I don't think the form for consent has gotten back to mnda. I will wait until next wk and hope it's with them.

Hi BN,

I don't think they need to have received the form for you to make contact with your RCDA. I did not mean to sound bossy/pushy - it is just that I don't like to think of you struggling and not getting the appropriate support that you need and are entitled to. The main thing is that you know that the RCDA is there for you to contact if and when you want to.

From what I remember, I think I sent an email to my RCDA first to introduce myself/provide some basic info, and then I followed it up with a phone call next day. I think that the consent form is needed to provide permission for them to contact us, but it is OK if we want to contact them first.

I hope that you and your family have a lovely Christmas.

Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 18th December 2018 at 21:09.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Hi BN,

I suggest you ring MNDA helpline and ask them to get your RCDA to call you. No need to wait until next week. I have met a number of them over the years and they are so pleased to help.

Another shortcut to applying for aids that are difficult to access from statutory services is to attend your local MNDA branch or group who have the ability to raise a request for support from national office. You will also find the meetings rewarding.
    Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Thankyou both I will call tomorrow

Hi BN,

I hope all goes well with the phone call, and that you get the support and help you need sooner rather than later.

Best wishes,

Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Ah I found a 4 wheel rollator on Amazon I could get next day so I ordered it and a ramp to help with getting in and out and I will phone cns to find out why neuro pt left me so long when cosultant said in letter I should be seen as a priorty. He saw me walk a few steps

You ought not have to buy a rollator or any other walking, bathing or other similar aids. Your local services ought to loan you them. But I'm glad that you will have something to help coming quickly. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi BN,

As Lynne has said, you should not have had to buy the rollator and ramp, but as it is taking so long for an OT or physio to see you, I don't blame you for going ahead and purchasing what you need.

There may be a statutory requirement for our local authority to provide us with some equipment free of charge, but that legislation is about as much use as a chocolate teapot if the equipment it is not supplied to us in time for when we really need it.

It may be the case that the standard issue by your local authority is a 3 wheeled rollator, rather than a 4 wheeler anyway. From what Barry has said, the 4 wheelers definitely give more stability (especially outside!) and so you have made a very wise purchase.

I was supplied with a Rollator by my physio and I purchased another one, so that I could keep one upstairs as well as one downstairs - a girl can never have too many handbags ... or Rollators!

Hopefully your Amazon order will arrive quickly for you.

Best wishes,
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 21st December 2018 at 19:36.

You are right Kayleigh. The local devices first loan you a 3 wheeled rollator (I've fallen with the one that they gave me several times, despite putting weight in it to attempt to stabilise it.). 4 wheeled rollator are as you say much more stable but the ones with quite big wheels are best. I asked for one after reading one of Terry's posts last year. I told them what Terry had and my physio got me the cheapest one of that type that she could find. That's my preferred and safest walking assistance outside, for relatively short distances. It's seat is a saviour when waiting in a queue. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Lynne,

That's good to hear that there can be some flexibility about what is provided. It is great that your physio provided you with a four wheeled rollator, and the seat on it sounds ideal.

Have you been provided with an electric wheelchair yet?

Kayleigh