• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimWright
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2018

Working and what happens next?

I guess this is aimed at the younger sufferers here. What happens nextvwith working, I’m a driving instructor and i have a driving assessment booked for February,never if I pass it I really can’t see myself driving / teaching much longer.
    Hears the questions, how long have people kept driving for safety with MND. I’m only 52 I’m guessing they will exspect me to just get a desk job, what’s the odds of going straight to medical retirement? Hope that made sence?
  • Terry
    Forum Member
    • May 2012

Hi Jim;

The driving assessment is quite easy and they normally give you a three year license after that.

How long depends on how long you are safe driving really.

It is between you and your employer about where next, there is quite a lot of help both legally and physically available if you want to stay employed.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• JimWright
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2018

Thank you Terry,
      From what I’ve read it seems to be the standard “L” test and it’s booked at my local test centre, so everything is in my favour, will just hav to be a grown up about how safe I feel!
      The thing that concerns me is like all instructors I’m self employed, really don’t love the idea of going back to working for someone.

Comment

• Terry
        Forum Member
        • May 2012

Hi Jim;

It should not be a standard driving test and it should be a fairly relaxed drive around to gauge that you can drive safety.

Mind you, you should know most of the things that a lot of us have forgotten.

If you are self employed, then when you can't do your job properly then I think that you will go unemployed and not in there office.

Not sure if you have insurances, endowments and pensions etc. Depending on your ability you can claim other things.

When you get close to that it might be a good idea to ring Mnda connect and speak to them about finances.

Love Terry
        TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Jaxx
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2017

My daughter was 33 when diagnosed last year and was on maternity leave when it struck she never returned to work, she did take the driving assessment which they were happy with but she very soon had to give it up as progression was quite rapid, she’s a girl racer in her power chair though!! Good luck.

Comment

I gave up my license soon after diagnosis at age 43. I was still capable of driving but would never forgive myself if an accident was caused by me due to me trying to hang onto it.

Comment

• Lynne K
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2017

Hi Jim,
              I too was a driving instructor. I gave it up January 25th 2018 after 2 falls, one at the test centre and one outside a pupils house. I decided, despite enjoying my job and having most pass first time, that it isn't proffesional to fall on the job like I had. Good luck with your driving assessment. I didn't have a driving assessment. They wrote to my neurologist. I got a 3 year licence. Lynne
              Last edited by Lynne K; 23 December 2018, 21:04.
              ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

I gave up driving just before diagnosis. Steering became difficult. A great shame as I felt almost like nothing wrong. I have been signed off work since September and have appointment for medical retirement in January. I am 47

Comment

Hi I'm still driving with lollipop steering adaption and changed to automatic car on motobility scheme. I've got a medical retirement appointment in beginning of January. I work in education but it is getting too hard arm/hand on both sides are affected and legs are showing signs of weakness. It's all very scary and I will be stopping driving very soon has you have all said it's when you don't feel safe to drive it's the time to stop. I am 52.

Comment

• johnburton
                    Forum Member
                    • Jun 2018

I was given a 3 year licence without needing a test, after being diagnosed in March 2018. I am still driving, now with hand controls, as MND has made operating foot pedals impractical. However, I'm retired, which makes things a lot easier. My arms are so far unaffected.

Comment

• Iron Will
                      Forum Member
                      • Jun 2018

i'm now 64. I gave up driving a year ago. my legs simply stopped working. I felt them pack up on my way to work one day. I parked up there and then. in a power chair now and I get around fine.

Comment

• JimWright
                        Forum Member
                        • Aug 2018

Thank you all for you input I’ll let you know how I get on with my assessment.

Comment

• JimWright
                          Forum Member
                          • Aug 2018

Sorry meant to post a follow up. Had my assessment, was very relaxed as was said by others here. They got the test centre manager from Kings Lynn to do it, came up with a test route just for me, turns out after all my stressing it’s not a pass or fail thing,report goes off to head office and I’ll find out in 6 weeks. By that time I would have given my car up anyway.

Comment

• JimWright
                            Forum Member
                            • Aug 2018

Spooky got the letter this morning. Going over to an annual medical review licence, at least I can choose when to surrender it and not the indignity of having it revoked.

Comment

• Barry52
                              Forum Member
                              • Mar 2012

That’s better news Jim. I assume you can renew your car or extend it but I don’t know the rules on this situation.

Best wishes,
                              Barry
                              I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Working...
                              X