Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aches and pains

Aches and pains

I have got terrible aches and pains in legs. Never had them before. I suppose it is a sign that this terrible disease is getting worse and just have to keep taking pain killers?
    I hope you are all feeling better than I am today.
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 24th December 2018 at 14:23.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Hi Kayleigh;

It is probably something to do with Mnd but you might be able to lessen the pains but having more rest, adjusting the legs position, massage and proper relaxation.

Where abouts are your leg pains and when do they occur?

I've been having relaxation hypnotic playing some of the night from youtube and it helps me in relaxing my hands and lower arms allowing me to straighten them flat on the bed. I have not managed that for over a year.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Terry,
    Thanks for your advice.

I woke up this morning in pain all over legs. Took some paracetamol but didn't help much. A lovely friend of mine is going to get me some painkillers with codeine in from chemist this afternoon and so hopefully they will work. I am not very good at tolerating pain but I suppose I will just have to 'man up' about it.

i don't want to be miserable tomorrow and am looking forward to family visiting and so I will rest today. Hopefully the pain is just something that will come and go and will be sorted out by stronger painkillers.

I will take your advice about massage and listening to relaxing music - both sound good to me!

Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

I find my legs aching as bits of muscles are taking on the roles of the dead space next door to them

Terry any chance of a link to one of those youtubes would love to uncurl my fingers without leaning on the back of them

The pain in my legs today felt like it was caused by the reason broken nails gave in her post above, and also by pain due to muscles dying. Anyway, whatever the cause, it was not pleasant at all. Luckily strong painkillers have worked.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Love Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 24th December 2018 at 18:54.

Hi Kayleigh,

It could well be spasticity in your muscles causing your leg pain, especially after a period of relative inactivity during sleep - our muscle tone can go quite low or high with ALS. High muscle tone is spasticity and can be quite uncomfortable, but antispasmodic meds reduce tone and thus, pain. Your GP can advise if you need meds.

Stretching the muscles and gentle massage will help to reduce high muscle tone, or a warm bath (if safe) Painkillers won’t really help.

Make sure you keep your legs warm - if you get cold during the night, an electric blanket timed to come on intermittently during the night is great. Also, try not to sleep with straight legs, use a pillow to put a bend in your knees if necessary.

And BTW, there is NO manning up to pain allowed!!! Our lives are hard enough without having to deal with pain too… There are always remedies for pain.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Hello Ellie,

Many thanks for enlightening me about the pain in my legs and for the really useful tips about how to combat it.

I think I was panicking a bit today because I have not experienced pain like that before and with it being Christmas tomorrow I was particularly worried about the pain getting worse.

You and Terry have been very kind giving me such great advice today, especially as it is Christmas Eve - I really do appreciate it!

Many thanks and Merry Christmas.
    Love
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 24th December 2018 at 20:03.

My pleasure Kayleigh.

If we can't help each other by sharing our experiences, where would we be?!!

Merry Christmas,

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    Hi Kayleigh,

I really hope your leg pains have eased tomorrow so you can enjoy Christmas day with your family.

My legs are painful and stiff if I sleep well. I guess its because I haven't turned enough in the night. My hubby says to wake him to help me turn but i don't want to disturb him as he does enough for me. If I have had a restless night my legs don't hurt. Strange !

Hope you have a lovely day tomorrow, Kayleigh.
    Love Debbie x