Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowel and bladder problems

Pinkelle, Yes convinced MND switches lots of things off. I am often constipated for couple of days and as typing now got stomach pain hope my usual Saturday curry and pint clears me. I have taken two Senokot tablets and hope that clears me. I also have pee accidents sometimes just fallen asleep in my wheelchair and ride around in house to my pee bottle. I do sometimes have a leg cramp as well. Luckily now have a pee pad in as well so when out and about hopefully no accidents. When out of the house always careful how much I drink so not struggling to get to the toilet. I do go to local Hospice for a day break luckily access there very easy. Best wishes John

Forum Member
    I have the same problem and was told the bladder problem was not necessarily connected to MND and was referred to a urologist. I am on both memedications for this, Solifenacin and Betmiga which can helpa lot and did for a while but not now.

So have been sent for scans, ususal delay , 7 weeks later waiting for results after lots of chasing GP on case, but she says the likely result barring anything wrong, is a catheter or sub pubic catheter which involves a day admittance. Both need tubes changing every 3 months.

Fel for you Pnkelle, I live on my own and I get very frustrated, as I am in a wheelchair permanently and have to baord across to the toilet, preplanning doesnt always work, and Tena pants whilst very good are a a great difficulty when you cant get on or off disabled loos. Happy days x

Sounds like the bladder issue is not an uncommon one! Great that we share our experiences/knowledge to help each other and also to know which medical professionals to approach for help.

Loobylou, I am sorry to hear that it is taking so long to get the medical resolution that you urgently need and that should make your day-to-day life much more comfortable. I hope that things get sorted out for you very soon.

Best wishes,
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 31st December 2018 at 02:14.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    I'm sorry things have been so hard for you Pinkelle x I have this too. I used to have leakage as well but that's stopped, which makes me feel it might be MND related for me cos my MND stuff seems to come in waves. Having read this thread I'll ask my doctor about it. When my daughter had urinary issues they said for her to drink a regular amount through the day and go to the loo at regular times in the day, i wonder if that's a help to us as well? I bet they'll say no tea though! Sob sob. I'm not in a wheelchair yet so ha e been dealing with it by buying bigger stretchier pants and very easy to pull up and down thermal leggings from m and s in a bigger size. I found them because someone with MND r reviewed them! They seem to help with my leg spasticity too.

My GP is waiting on a sample from me as I am peeing far too much for example my chipped tooth made it too painful to drink today and before a drop was drunk I peed 3 times this makes me dehydrated. But I think the getting to the loo too late is common. When walking is so slow. I think some urgency is related to muscle wasting and the metabolites created by that will be excreted in urine which can irritate the bladder. As an aside damn fasiculations caused by bladder to empty without any control on one occasion

Oh dear 'Broken Nails.' I hope that the doc can sort you out. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Broken Nails,

That is interesting comment you made about being dehydrated. I am much more wary about how much I drink these days, and I probably don't drink enough because I want to minimise the number of trips to the bathroom (because it is so time consuming getting there and back!). If I have just got back from the bathroom, there is no way I would have a drink straight away because I want to make sure that I have a long break before I have make yet another trip to 'the littlest room'. I probably risk getting dehydrated if I am not drinking as much as I should - but those bathroom trips are such a hastle these days!

I hope that your GP is helpful in resolving your bladder problems.

Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 2nd January 2019 at 20:52.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

It's reassuring to know I'm not alone with these problems. I find myself constantly thinking about this problem throughout the day. I've got to stop.

As you rightly say Pink, you are definitely not alone with this issue - and I think it is probably more common than people admit to.

Thinking of you, and really hoping that your GP or nurse will be able to get something sorted out for you very soon.

Kayleigh x

Forum Member
    Hi
    I have had the same problem for several years and totally understand how you feel x I take oxybutynin for bladder control twice a day and extra if I am going out talk to your gp or community nurse x don't be embarrassed about it x