• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fru
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2016

Laser therapy

Hi All,
    We have been offered some sessions of laser therapy for a Christmas present. Does anyone have any experience of this? I can't find anything much about this being used for people with MND apart from one paper which says that any benefits are short term. The laser is class IV (K-laser). Is this just a franchise? Where would the laser be best applied? It might be good for swollen cold feet but I don't know a thing about this sort of therapy. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this new (?) therapy.
    Thanks and a happy new year to you all
    Fru XX
  • Boiler68
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2018

Hi Fru

I've never heard of this. Look forward to seeing if anyone has had experience of it.
    Happy New Year to you too. Xx

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
      Forum Member
      • May 2017

Hi Fru

This sounds very unusual.

Offered by whom?

Doug
      Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
        Forum Member
        • May 2017

Hi Fru

Just to be clear - I meant who is the company offering the treatment.

Doug
        Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Terry
          Forum Member
          • May 2012

Hi Fru,

I can't see it being any use unless he has unwanted hair or varicose vains.
          TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Kayleigh
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2018

Hi Fru,

I have found the k-laser uk website that gives an overview of the therapy. You may have already seen the website, but just in case you haven't I have posted a link to the info for patients, below:-

Laser therapy uses selected wavelengths of light to stimulate key molecules in human tissues. Decades of medical research have identified the wavelengths,

On the website, there is a list of places that provide the therapy in the UK. You may be able to contact one of them to ask about the suitability of laser therapy for MND patients.

Best wishes
            Kayleigh x
            Last edited by Kayleigh; 31 December 2018, 17:25.

Comment

• Fru
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2016

Hi everyone and thank you for your thoughts on this.
              Yes, I found it a bit odd as it seems to be mainly for pain relief and Ed doesn't get much pain as such. This is a mobile thing (home visit).
              I think it's a good idea what Kayleigh says and I will contact a clinic after tomorrow to make some enquiries.
              It's a lady who lives nearby and she just wants to help but I don't want to say yes until I am sure no damage can be done.
              I understand that this sort of therapy is used regularly at the vets!!! And it is now being used to treat things like arthritis.
              I will let you know what happens
              Love Fru XX

Comment

• MNDConnect
                Forum Moderator
                • Mar 2016

Dear Fru,
                I am really sorry to say that we are not aware of any benefits which could be gained from this type of laser therapy for people with MND. I have looked at the website for the company concerned and the therapy is said to "biostimulate tissue repair and growth" which in turn is said to "accelerate wound healing and decrease inflammation, pain, and scar tissue formation"
                In the first instance, I would recommend that you speak to your neurologist about this therapy before embarking on any sessions.
                I hope this is helpful.
                Kind regards
                Ruth
                MND Connect
                MND Connect
                Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• Fru
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2016

Thank you MNDConnect team, yes that's exactly what I have come up with and thank you for looking into this for me. I will do some homework on this and get back to you later in the week.
                  Fru XX

Comment

Working...
                  X