Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help when losing use of hands

Hi Lisa,

Hope all goes well with phone call and that there is someone available to visit you for the assessment fairly soon.

I think that each council's website provides the option of making an online request for an assessment - handy to have that option, especially if the phone line is busy and would be my preference, as my speech is not so good after speaking for a while.

On the subject of the hoist, that is something that should be provided for us, if required.

If it is your daughter's first day back at school after the Christmas break, I hope she having an enjoyable day. It is always much quieter for us at home when they go back, but nice for them to see all their school friends again. Hopefully she will not get too much homework - sometimes they tend to be 'overloaded' with homework these days - and seem to get far more homework than we did!

I hope you are having a good day.

Best wishes
    Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    [QUOTE struggling with fluids

It's important to keep hydrated. You get a thickener for drinks, on prescription after a referral from Speech and Language Therapy. It's totally tasteless and does what it says in the tin!!

Forum Member
    Hi kayliegh, your right on the weight issue, my wife has gone down to 7st 4lb, her last weight check was about the same, as her ability to eat gets worse her weight will have dropped, see the dietician next week, only eating about 25% of what she used to eat, really struggling now, a peg has been discussed, think the sooner the better.
    dave.

Forum Member
    hi miranda, it been weeks since our last app with speech and language, my wife didn't need thickener then, but she needs it now, had a prescription of the out of hours doc on sat, went to asda and boots, neither of them can get it till Monday and Tuesday, good job its not urgent.
    dave.

Hi Dave,

That's good your wife is seeing the dietitian soon, so that you can discuss your wife's food/drink intake and options concerning a feeding tube.

Has the GP prescribed your wife any nutrition drinks such as Fortisip or Complan? - If not, hopefully, the dietitian will be able to recommend some and will organise a prescription for her from the GP.

Best wishes
    Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!