Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help when losing use of hands

I posted on a previous thread that the trolley provided by my OT was unsafe because it lacked brakes. I have been informed that they have ordered one with brakes which may be of interest to others.

https://www.careco.co.uk/item-p-dl06...table-trolley/

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Barry. That's great news about your OT ordering you a trolley with brakes. Hopefully, you will be pleased with it and it will look as good as it does in the picture! Best wishes, Kayleigh.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    Hi everyone, thankyou for the advice. My GP was as always amazing as was the MNDA co=ordinator. I need to self-refer to adult social care, and my Doctor has written to my council housing dept to ensure they know I'll be housebound unless I'm moved. Fingers crossed!
    Lisa x

Hi Lisa,

Hopefully, the new housing will get sorted quickly for you.

I would have thought that the council have got some sort of legal obligation to provide you with a property that has 'disabled' access, but I suppose it depends on how quickly a suitable property becomes available. At least the letter from your GP will help and, hopefully, you won't have to wait long before you move to a more suitable home.

Kayleigh x

P.S. I am glad that you have found your RCDA so helpful - they seem to be such lovely people!
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    Yes, hopefully something comes up soon Kayleigh.. I got myself on high priority urgent status for a 2 bed bungalow in my area, but looking at the previous lettings only 2 or 3 come up a year. It's been 3 or 4 months now, so fingers crossed! Thankyou for the link to the rollator, the bar ones are hard to find.
    Lisa x

Hi Lisa,

Hopefully your OT will be able to get you the 'bar' style rollator, if you want one. If my hands get too weak to use my current rollator, I am definitely going to ask my OT about one because although I have my powerchair, I want to keep using a rollator indoors as much as possible to give my legs get some exercise. I had a walking stick for a while but had some falls. The rollators are brilliant and I feel so much safer using one.

FIngers crossed for a 2 bed bungalow for you and your daughter - very soon!
    Kayleigh x

Forum Member
    hello catsparkle, sorry to hear your losing the use of your hands, contact welfare rights on your local council, they maybe able to help and point you in the right, my wife has lost the use of her legs, her right arm/hand totally redundant, her left hand/arm has nearly packed in, very limited use, she can't even use the recliner control button, her speech has nearly gone and her swallowing is getting bad, cut up or mashed up food is just about ok but struggling with fluids,things have moved so fast people can't keep up with it, we walked into the consultants room in july 2018, in six months she has gone down so quick,we are waiting for an extension on the side of the house, social services need to be involved to get you the help you need, another point is if and when you need carers, they wont come in unless you have hoist installed for lifting, good luck.
    dave.

Forum Member
    hi barry, on the subject of brakes, depending on the type of tyre's on wheeled trollys or walkers, depends on whether the breaks work properly, we found that tyre's that are rounded tread were no good for breaking, the tyre's with a flat tread were a lot better, hope this might help.

dave.

Hi Lisa,

I have found some info about the 'needs assessment' on the NHS website, which might be helpful if you haven't seen it already.

http://https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

Best wishes
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 6th January 2019 at 21:57.

Forum Member
    Hi David, I'm sorry to hear of your wife's progression x I really am very lucky having time to adapt to the changes, and appreciate it. That's a really useful tip about the hoist, thankyou, I wish you both all the best x
    Hi Kayleigh, thankyou.
    and that link is useful, tvm, it's always good to be prepared! Calling them this morning. I have a morning of admin! Lisa x