How Long To Wait For MRI Results

hi everyone
    just wondering how long does it take for
    MRI results to come through
    paddy has his on sunday (30/12), and then the new year was here
    so just in limbo waiting
    love
    emma x

Waiting times for results vary around the country. Sometimes you won't hear until the next appointment with whomever requested this, whether you GP or a neurologist. The Xmas holiday likely would delay things. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Emma,

I had an appointment booked with my neurologist a couple of weeks after my MRI scan and he had received the results by then.

When I had my scans, the radiologist asked when my follow-up appointment was, so that the results could reach my neurologist beforehand.

The length of time it takes probably varies and so it might be worth you phoning the hospital's radiology department to find out when the results are likely to be with Paddy's neurologist.

It may be the case that Paddy's neurologist is waiting to receive the results before an appointment is sent to Paddy (if he hasn't been given a follow-up appointment yet). But you could possibly phone the neurologist's secretary, as he/she might be able to advise you about this.

Best wishes
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 3rd January 2019 at 17:02.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

I agree with Lynne.

Does Paddy already have a follow up appointment with the Dr who requested the MRI?

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    hi everyone
    thanks for the replies
    when paddy had his initial lumber MRI, (november) the gp said that he didnt think the problem was in his lumber
    as his condition was getting worse
    so he sent 2 referral's one to the neuroosurgeon and one to neurology
    the neurosurgeon sent us a appointment first, so it was him that asked for the recent MRI's so he can rule out anything surgical, so i presume he can then pass paddy on to neurology
    its just frustrating apart from the MRI's and the neurosurgeon tapping and bending his legs and hands
    like he was playing he fiddle
    he's not even had any blood tests,
    our GP is more or less useless
    love
    emma x

Hi Emma,

From what you have said, it might be that the follow-up appointment will be with the neurosurgeon who requested the MRI scan or it could be with a neurologist?

If you are anxious to find out what is going on, it might be worth phoning the neurosurgeon's secretary for clarification about who the appointment will be with and approx. when it will be - or you could wait a while to receive a letter about it. As the others have mentioned, it could take a while to hear from the hospital due to the Christmas/New Year break.

Thinking of you both,

Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    Hi Emma,

Waiting for test results is so frustrating , especially when you know someone has your results. When I had an initial MRI on my spine I was hoping it would provide an explanation for my increasing leg weakness and they rang me a couple of days later to say the scan was fine so they were referring me to a neurologist.

I think every hospital is different but it might be worth a chase up call to the Secretary. I have had test result letters read to me over the phone .

Sorry you are feeling in limbo today
    Love Debbie x

Forum Member
    hi everyone
    just a quick update
    just spoke to paddy's consultant secretary, to see if there was any news of his scan
    she said that at the moment its around 8 weeks waiting
    due to the lack of radiologist's available
    how can you move on, without a correct diagnosis
    can i ask how other people cope waiting

at the moment paddy is having shocking spasticity in both legs
    can he still visit his GP for help without having anything confirmed
    love
    emma x

Hi Emma,

I am sorry that you are having to wait so long. I know it is difficult, but it is just a case of trying to take one day at a time. I know, life can be so unfair - and a right pain in the butt sometimes! The 'waiting game' can play havoc with our stress levels, but you are being wonderfully strong and a great support for Paddy - you are doing really well! - and we will always be here to support you on this forum.

There is medication that a GP can prescribe for spasticity - but I don't know if it initially needs to be prescribed by a neurologist - other folk on this forum may be able to advise you about this.

Love,

Kayleigh xx
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 7th January 2019 at 17:55.

Forum Member
    hi kayleigh
    thanks once again for your reply
    hopefully the GP will sort something out
    in the meantime maybe someone on the forum might know of a natural remedy available
    love
    emma x