• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deb
    Forum Member
    • May 2018

Light folding electric wheelchair

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking through old threads for recommendations for a very light weight, folding electric wheelchair. At the moment I use a scooter or a manual wheelchair when I am
    out but I would like more independence. It would be easier to use in the home too.

I rang wheelchair services and my OT today and they only provide the larger ones like salsa mini . They implied, very sensitively that I need to think of my changing needs. I totally understand this and I am not being ungrateful...well not much but we want to be out and about and travel as much as possible whilst I still can. I think Ellie said Carpe Diem !!

It might not be a long term solution but I would be grateful for any recommendations or advice. We have been looking at a freedom 6 or a pride I go. I don't need head support atm but I would like a chair that could be pushed if the battery failed.

Thank you ,
    Love Debbie x
    Last edited by Deb; 3 January 2019, 17:30. Reason: Spelling
  • Annb
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2017

I would be interested to hear about any possible lightweight folding electric wheelchairs too. I am very pleased with my salsa2 it is comfortable for use at home but it cannot go in a normal car. I have noticed that some electric wheelchairs are now coming online secondhand and the prices of some new ones are coming down. Any advise will be appreciated. Ann

Comment

• Terry
      Forum Member
      • May 2012

Hi Deb & Ann;

They do free home trials and I think most chairs have the ability to be pushed, including the Freedom 6. I have seen a few out and about but don't know reliability etc,.

Love Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

I bought the CareCo Easi Go - £699

Comment

• Deb
          Forum Member
          • May 2018

Thank you for the advice, Jon boy.

Just bought the careco easi go for around the house and for out and about. It's great and very easy to manoeuvre. It has a swivel seat to make it easier for me get in and out of it using my rollator.

I do need L plates ,however as furniture is getting a bashing and hubby and sons are wanting a go !

Love Debbie x

Comment

• JAY TEE
            Forum Member
            • Apr 2014

Deb I was given Salsa 2 by my local council 3yrs ago. It is brilliant and I sit in it all day. It will go miles and very easy to control when out and about. I did buy a Citreon Berlingo as that very easy to get into and be strapped up and my carer/wife finds easy to drive as well. Best wishes John

Comment

Hi, a year ago I bought a Foldawheel pw999, off amazon. It was around £2000. 00. I think you can now buy them second hand. At the moment we have a problem with a wheel motor which will hopefully soon be resolved. This chair is brill, I love it and have been all over in it. We have flown with it, it packs away in a bag. It weighs around 53 kilos and a battery lasts around 6-7 miles. I've got two batteries. I think I've done a bit too much off-roading in mine, hense the problem. Just ask for any more details.

Comment

• Ellie
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2012

Glad you found something suitable Debbie - hope you get lots of use from it.

My kids still do timed races in my chair

Love Ellie.
                ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Ellie
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2012

Wow Cath, it says the Foldaway is 53lbs (=24kgs), so that's super light (+1.6kg per battery)

It looks like a great chair and you obviously get lots of use from it. Hope the motor is sorted soon.

Love Ellie.
                  ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

Working...
                  X