Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: neck collar

Forum Member

neck collar

hi, can anyone tell me if they are using a collar for weak neck muscles, do the mnda supply them of can I get one over the counter, any advise would be grateful.
    thanks

Dave.

Ask Sue's OT to assess her and hopefully supply an appropriate one.

Wearing the wrong type of collar can cause problems.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Hi Dave;

Sometimes a soft foam collar is OK to start with. But again, a OT can get one the right size.

Love Terry

Hi Ellie and Terry,

I don't need a collar at the moment but following your advice on this thread, I will remember to request one from my OT if/when I feel I do. In the meantime, and sorry if this is a silly question, but I was just wondering - can collars be worn while sleeping or are they only suitable to be worn when awake?

I hope you are having a lovely evening,

Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    hi ellie, I need to take her to Wrexham for an appointment next Friday, am worried about her neck moving about to freely now going to take her in her electric chair, it has support for side movement but if I have to stop suddenly she could hurt herself, I will ask the OT tomorrow.
    thanks
    dave.

Forum Member
    Thanks Terry.

Davidr,

Ask about the Sheffield snood. It was developed specifically for MND and is now available through nhs.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    hi barry52, yes I will, not sleepy now, taken over an hour to settle my better half, not had a good day.
    thanks
    dave.

Hi Dave,

Hopefully the Marie Curie nurse will be able to provide some night cover again, so that you can get more sleep.

Also, I hope you will get some news concerning your wife's application for CHC, very soon.

Best wishes,
    Kayleigh
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 14th January 2019 at 00:17.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    hi David
    sorry you've not had a good day. Mick had his apt at chest clinic 20/12 and he also made appt same day for collar. They gave him like a foam one and a more rigid grey one with a chin rest. If he's at home in recliner he doesnt wear it. He finds his head heavy at end of the day so when we went to Blackpool we took it with us. They try different ones to suit. I hope that you have a better day today and some more overnight support soon.