neck collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neck collar

hi, can anyone tell me if they are using a collar for weak neck muscles, do the mnda supply them of can I get one over the counter, any advise would be grateful.
    thanks

Dave.
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Ask Sue's OT to assess her and hopefully supply an appropriate one.

Wearing the wrong type of collar can cause problems.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Terry
      Forum Member
      • May 2012

Hi Dave;

Sometimes a soft foam collar is OK to start with. But again, a OT can get one the right size.

Love Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Kayleigh
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2018

Hi Ellie and Terry,

I don't need a collar at the moment but following your advice on this thread, I will remember to request one from my OT if/when I feel I do. In the meantime, and sorry if this is a silly question, but I was just wondering - can collars be worn while sleeping or are they only suitable to be worn when awake?

I hope you are having a lovely evening,

Kayleigh x

Comment

hi ellie, I need to take her to Wrexham for an appointment next Friday, am worried about her neck moving about to freely now going to take her in her electric chair, it has support for side movement but if I have to stop suddenly she could hurt herself, I will ask the OT tomorrow.
          thanks
          dave.

Comment

Thanks Terry.

Comment

• Barry52
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2012

Davidr,

Ask about the Sheffield snood. It was developed specifically for MND and is now available through nhs.

Best wishes,
              Barry
              I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

hi barry52, yes I will, not sleepy now, taken over an hour to settle my better half, not had a good day.
                thanks
                dave.

Comment

• Kayleigh
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2018

Hi Dave,

Hopefully the Marie Curie nurse will be able to provide some night cover again, so that you can get more sleep.

Also, I hope you will get some news concerning your wife's application for CHC, very soon.

Best wishes,
                  Kayleigh
                  Last edited by Kayleigh; 13 January 2019, 23:17.

Comment

• shrew
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2018

hi David
                    sorry you've not had a good day. Mick had his apt at chest clinic 20/12 and he also made appt same day for collar. They gave him like a foam one and a more rigid grey one with a chin rest. If he's at home in recliner he doesnt wear it. He finds his head heavy at end of the day so when we went to Blackpool we took it with us. They try different ones to suit. I hope that you have a better day today and some more overnight support soon.

Comment

• JAY TEE
                      Forum Member
                      • Apr 2014

Dave, yes a neck collar does help. My neck is big as played tight head prop in rugby days. I did have a fall two years ago hurt neck. The therapist got me a metal frame one with chin pad. That not too bad, I also have the full neck support and wear neck support most days.
                      Best wishes John.

Comment

• Ellie
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2012

No Kayleigh, collars are not worn in bed x
                        ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Kayleigh
                          Forum Member
                          • Nov 2018

Thanks Ellie x

Comment

Working...
                          X