Hands-free mouse, please advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hands-free mouse, please advise

Hello, my dad has fairly advanced ALS and needs a good hands-free mouse that works will help him to use a laptop again. He can't use fingers at all but could apply pressure to something placed under the bottom of his hand (or perhaps between teeth?). We don't have anyone to assess or advise him. Is anyone else in that situation and know of a good HF mouse? He's scared of trying new tech because it's often so frustrating, but he needs to be able to use the laptop. Thank you. Sasha
  • Sueb
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2014

Hi Sasha

Has your dad had a referral to assistive Technology. They have different options that are available. Steve uses Eye Gaze now, would that be an option for him.

Sue

Comment

I use eyegaze it's okay but you can't change gridpad 3 settings without hands.I also have quho hands free that does everything

Comment

Hi Sue, thanks. Unfortunately he doesn't live in this country and where he is there is no such assistance. I have been looking on the internet but am completely bewildered by what is out there and what goes with what.. Have been looking (and trying to make sense of) the Tobii site but like I said, bewildered. He needs something that he can use his eyes for a mouse and maybe click with a ball under the palm of his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by lv73 View Post
          I use eyegaze it's okay but you can't change gridpad 3 settings without hands.I also have quho hands free that does everything
          Thank you Ivy, do you know where I can find more info about this online, including info about cost? Google not being helpful!

Comment

• Ellie
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2012

Hi Sasha,

It's Quha, not Quho, based in Finland but see How to Buy for your dad's country.

Love Ellie.
            Last edited by Ellie; 20 January 2019, 15:11.
            ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Terry
              Forum Member
              • May 2012

Hi Sasha;

I don't know much about eye gaze but some here do and has a complete system working for I think under £200.

All computer systems do seam to require some tweaking from time to time as well as a initial set up.

I think Grid Pad is a 1 or 2 switch system which is quite slow but probably requires less maintenance.

Love Terry
              TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Sueb
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2014

Steve uses Gridpad 3. Once set up to your own requirements it works really well. Steve played with the settings until he had it how he wanted, but assistive technology did leave you with just default settings which were very slow and frustrating. I do have to help sometimes with settings if he wants to change something.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha73 View Post
                  Thank you Ivy, do you know where I can find more info about this online, including info about cost? Google not being helpful!
                  I got it free through assistive technology through my council I live in Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Sueb View Post
                    Steve uses Gridpad 3. Once set up to your own requirements it works really well. Steve played with the settings until he had it how he wanted, but assistive technology did leave you with just default settings which were very slow and frustrating. I do have to help sometimes with settings if he wants to change something.

Sue
                    has Steve set it up to control the TV?

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha73 View Post
                      Hi Sue, thanks. Unfortunately he doesn't live in this country and where he is there is no such assistance. I have been looking on the internet but am completely bewildered by what is out there and what goes with what.. Have been looking (and trying to make sense of) the Tobii site but like I said, bewildered. He needs something that he can use his eyes for a mouse and maybe click with a ball under the palm of his hand.
                      Camera Mouse is a free program that enables you to control the mouse pointer on your computer screen just by moving your head.

free software

Comment

Working...
                      X