Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scooter and wheelchair gridlock

Scooter and wheelchair gridlock

Hi all,

I have just returned from a mobility exhibition organised by Motability and held under one roof at the Peterborough showground. These exhibitions are moving around the country and it is a great opportunity to see vehicles, scooters, wheelchairs and adaptations all together.

The organisers had car park marshals and golf buggies to transfer passengers into the show. I had my scooter and my daughter as interpreter. The show was so busy that areas were gridlocked with mobility scooters and wheelchairs and all you could hear was the sound of reversing alarms. I visited the Motability stand to establish whether I could change my vehicle mid contract if my needs change and the answer is yes.

We looked at the many vehicles present and it was clear that only a few were large enough to accommodate a scooter or wheelchair and a hoist. I was rather taken by a Kia which had been adapted to take a power wheelchair which could be driven into the driver's position. All this could be done single handed by using remote controls for the tailgate, ramp and securing points for the wheelchair.

I have mentioned before that I am looking for a suitable folding wheelchair or scooter to take on aircraft or cruise ships but unfortunately I didn't see anything suitable so it's back to the internet. As many of us say we have to be thinking one or two steps ahead as our needs change and this makes living with a disability so expensive if you want independence and a lifestyle.

I can thoroughly recommend an event like this as an ideal way of seeing the choice available.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Thanks Barry. It's at Newcastle Race Course the week after next. The OT told us about it and we had planned to go. Sounds well worthwhile.
    Bern

I went there six years ago and tried things.

A great place to go and they had other things like talking machines.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hello Bailey2Jordan,

I’m not sure which wheelchair you are referring to. There are many posts on the forum about wheelchairs so if you type the subject into the search box you can read them.

Barry

Sorry Barry

It’s my warped sense of humour. I have this lovely vision of scooter gridlock and alarms blaring – a bit like dodgems at the fair!

Actually, you’ve given me a half serious idea. This is what we need to get noticed: 200 (500?) mobility scooters driving (the wrong way?) round Piccadilly Circus. Now that would hit the headlines!

Doug

Just take them all in a shop, doug,

Marks and Spencer will soon pay you to leave.

I to saw loads of scooters blocking places up. Mind you, there are so many people using them now, especially in towns, and many of those people could do with the exercise.

Love Terry

Hello Lads,

Going back to the 'olden days' wasn't it the 'Mods' who rode scooters?

I imagine that as Terry used to ride motorbikes, he would have been more of a 'Rocker'! Not sure about Barry and Doug though?

Best wishes
    Kayleigh x

Doug,

Don’t apologise for a warped sense of humour. I’ve also got one. I like your idea for a scooter march. You organise it and I will be there.

Terry,

I’m well known on my scooter in my local M&S store but I’ve been known to cause gridlock with the trolleys.

Kayleigh,

I was a mod because I prefer their sense of fashion but I rode a motorcycle because I like speed.

Barry

I was and still am a no conformist, Kayleigh;

Loved motor bike but did not want to be associated with the heralds angels or any other rough groups. I wore a Barry Sheen Jacket but didn't really like him back then, I did later.

It great in Marks, if you can hook up one of their display's and move it along, slowly.

Love Terry

I like your style guys - it sure is a pleasure to be acquainted with such friendly, fantastic, fun-loving, fabulous fellas on this forum!