Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choking and coughing

Choking and coughing

Hi all. I nearly choked when trying to eat a couple of twiglets a couple of weeks ago. I felt that a little of the dry matter went down my airway. I coughed and coughed to try to shift it but did not manage 100%.

I've had an irritating cough ever since. Whenever I attempt to breath deeply I cough. I try each time to clear the cause but seldom do I succeed in couphing anying up. When I have managed its been a bit green, but now lighter. Is this how we end up with bronchitis and do you think that I'll get away with it this time, seeing as today I'm taking the odd deep breath easier.

Thanks for reading. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Lynne,

Those symptoms can't be very pleasant for you, especially as you have had them for 2 weeks.

Hopefully that troublesome piece of Twiglett won't cause you problems for much longer - but as the symptoms have not yet cleared up completely, it might be good to get some medical advice from your GP.

Kayleigh x

Thanks Kayleigh xx
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Hi Lynne,

This can be a scary event but to be coughing for a few weeks suggests another cause. I frequently choke on food and especially liquids and the only thing that comes up is mucus. The coughing may continue for a day or two but no longer in my case.

If it continues this week maybe you should see your GP.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne, Hope you're feeling better .

I have a good cough when I wake up in the morning and then I tend to be OK. Drinking lots of water first thing seems to help. Maybe you should have it checked out in case it can be put right with antibiotics and it is unrelated to MND.

Love Debbie x

Thanks Barry and Ellie. I can cough up mucus with lots of effort but getting it from my throat to a tissue is often impossible. However I've had some success yesterday and so far today. As I said yesterday I can pull a deep breath in more easily but I cannot hold it because it tickles and causes coughing. But I guess that this is my body trying to shift it. So more deep breathing planned. I hopefully can clear it this way. But as you say Barry if it's still a problem near to the end of this week I'll try to get a GP appointment. Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I hope your breathing has improved again today and your secretions are back to clear colour (and you don't have a temperature?)

Food going down the wrong way is scary for us because, as you rightly say, it's either very hard or impossible to give a decent cough to stop the offending item from going down the airway That can cause aspiration and lead to pneumonia, which none of us want!

I wonder if you'd benefit from a Cough Assist machine? Although, from afar, it sounds as if your cough isn't bad, perhaps talk to your nurse about it.

Wishing you well.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Ellie. Thank you for your kind words. I've never eaten the culprit (twiglets) before as I feel that they're like cardboard. But I accepted a couple from my husband who was munching away on a big box of them. I'll never try them again. I'm still coughing, but it's slightly better each day. I tried to get a GP appointment online for this cough and my painful left wrist and hand, carpul tunnel syndrome, but no appointments were available. I've had this problem for years, well before MND. But had it confirmed with one of my nerve conduction studies. So I'm going to take the report to my new GP from that study where my carpul tunnel syndrome is mentioned. It's not bad today. But it was awful yesterday. Lynne

Lynne, I formally diagnosed coming up 5yrs and had peg fitted two years ago but only use that few times a week as I can still eat well as long it’s minced up. My saliva very thick and drooling bad. I have patch behind ear and Carbocisteine 5ml three times a day an eye drops on tongue. I also in morning Lansoprazole tablet. I have a sucking machine which good to clear mouth and throat before eating. Also breath machine sending strong wind down throat so helps control the mouth and throat. Best wishes John

Thanks for the info John. I'm not at your stage yet. This is the first annoying cough due to nearly choking and bit of food down the airway. Hopefully my cough will clear on its own. Lynne