Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choking and coughing

Thanks Newbie17 x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Thanks Debbie. X
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Forum Member
    hi lynne
    hope you can book an appointment today
    sorry to hear about all the problems you are having with the new surgery
    is it worth gong back to your old doctor at minden ?
    love
    emma x

I had an appointment. Met a lady doc for first time and very happy with her attitude. She took my blood pressure and oxygen level and was happy with both. Then she listened to my chest and asked some questions. She gave me steroids to open my airway (maybe the dry twiglets kicked off a bit of asthma. I had a few months of it in the mid ninetees and was then given an inhaler. But I sorted out my chest myself by avoiding all fumes. I told my smoking family members to take their cigs outside and for them to keep their bedroom doors shut and window open when they spray deodorant). These measures together with avoiding where I could avoiding car exhaust fumes sorted it out. But I have since been super careful about fumes of any kind. The doc asked me what my concern was about my cough. I told her that with MND and choking episodes there's a risk of developing bronchitis, but I don't think I'm there yet. But with three weeks having tickly tubes and a cough, especially troublesome when I breath deeply. She gave me some antibiotics and a card to take to our local hospital to get a chest x-ray. She said her advice is for any choking incident an x-ray is recommended to check for any foreign item lodged. I think that's overkill but will go Monday. My husband doesn't have time to take me today (in my wheelchair) and I cannot walk safely on ice or snow. Where we live gets more frost than lower down roads. Lynne

Hi Lynne,

It's good to hear that you had an appointment with your new GP today and that she was very thorough and helpful.

Hopefully the medication she has prescribed will help.

I hope you have a relaxing evening.

Kayleigh x

I am glad you saw the GP Lynne.

I know it's a bit of a palaver to go and have an X-ray, but honestly, it's important to have it and rule out the slim possibility you have pneumonia.

I hope you can relax a bit now you've seen the GP, and have started treatment.

Stay safe and warm - is the new house cosy and easy to heat?

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Thanks Ellie. I don't have pneumonia but the doc wants to rule out if some food is stuck down there. Lynne x

Thanks Kayleigh. We are going to chill tonight and get a takeaway curry later. Lynne x

Hi Lynne,

I hope you are feeling more comforted now that your doctor has set in place a plan to identify what is the cause of your coughing. I hope all goes well next week.

Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Thanks Barry. Lynne