Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Choking and coughing

Hi Lynne,

I hope you are feeling a bit better today and that you cough has started to ease a bit. Hopefully the medication your GP prescribed will help.

Love,
    Kayleigh x

Forum Member
    Hi Lynn

How are you doing now?

Last few days my dad has started coughing too, feeling like he needs to clear his chest but canít cough strongly enough to get it up

It is worrying. Hoping itís more different bad luck rather than the mnd progressing as he only had breathing tests last week and the hospital didnít mention them so presuming theyíre ok?

Hope you are xx

Hi Vicky,

Any sudden onset cough and / or inability to clear phlegm should be checked out by his GP to rule out infection, pneumonia etc.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY TEE View Post
    Lynne, I formally diagnosed coming up 5yrs and had peg fitted two years ago but only use that few times a week as I can still eat well as long it’s minced up. My saliva very thick and drooling bad. I have patch behind ear and Carbocisteine 5ml three times a day an eye drops on tongue. I also in morning Lansoprazole tablet. I have a sucking machine which good to clear mouth and throat before eating. Also breath machine sending strong wind down throat so helps control the mouth and throat. Best wishes John
    Hi John, I noticed this post from earlier this year. How are you doing now? I was only diagnosed in August this year but already my bulbar symptoms are quite bad. In particular my throat muscles are weakened. Iím having a PEG fitted next week and I was given a cough assist machine today. My speech has pretty much completely gone. So Iím scared of what this all means. But it sounds like it can still be manageable (taking into account everyone is different of course)? Best wishes, Sarah

Forum Member
    Hi Sarah, sorry to butt in. Your symptoms sound a bit like mine. My speech has gone now. I have a appointment tomorrow for a neck brace, and on Monday another appointment to talk about having a peg done. Good luck next week.
    I see all the Christmas adverts on the telly, but I can't get in the mood this year.
    Best wishes, Sheila.

Hi Sarah,

Hope next week goes to plan.

Love Ellie.

Hi Sheila,

I hope you get on well on Monday. I know you will be anxious at the appointment, but you know a bit of information about feeding tubes and you now know lots of your new friends who have one

We'll be here to help and support you, whatever you decide.

Love Ellie.

Hi Sheila,

I hope everything goes well at your upcoming appointments.

It seems that as soon as we start dealing with one challenge, it's not long before we are faced with some more. I am losing my ability to talk but I find that using a speech app on my i-pad is very useful. Hopefully you have a speech therapist who is very helpful and can source any suitable communication aids for you, if you would like her or him to.

Love
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; Today at 17:32.

Hi Sarah,

I hope everything goes smoothly with your PEG operation next week.

Love,
    Kayleigh x