Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warfarin

Forum Member
    Thanks Ellie, the magnesium sounds a good idea I’ll see what the doctor says this week.
    Thanks love Jerry

Forum Member
    Hi Kayleigh,

No problem at all being a cluck mother hen ��. The wheelchair is probably the next step for me though I have other issues to look at first. Dave left for home last and ur right I’d beat him to the pub all day. The cramps with the Wafarin disappeared but I’ll look at something else to alleviate things.
    Take care love Jerry
    PS. Pleased you’re still getting to the pub ��

Forum Member
    Thanks Jaqui, well noted.
    Regards Jerry

Warfarin is a medication to help treat and prevent blood clots it is not a medication intended to treat cramps.

Please do speak to a doctor before taking any prescription medications over the counter because the side effects or effects on you may prove detrimental.

There are drugs designed specifically to treat cramps such as Baclofen or Tizanidine, again we would always suggest that a consultation with your doctor is required to make certain these drugs would not be contra indicated for you due to any previous medical history.

I can understand how difficult it must be for you to speak to a doctor about your condition but for your own safety please do not take any medications which are not intended for you.

With kind regards
    Jacqui Anderson
    Senior MND Connect Adviser[/QUOTE]

Hi Jerry,

Admittidly, I don't go to the pub every day! But it's good to get out and about whenever I can. There are quite a few pubs, restaurants etc near my home, and using an electric wheelchair means that I can get there and back independently (and without the risk of falling over - especially after a few drinks!).

Apparently, there are even electric powerchairs with seats that can rise up to bar-level!:-

https://www.pridemobility.com/p/jazzy-air

Cheers!,
    Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    Hi Kayleigh, never thought I’d be in the market for one but they look pretty cool. I went to a party Friday and the anxiety of wondering how far away the toilet is and would I manage to make it did my head in.
    Thanks again xxx Jerry

Hi Jerry,

You're definitely not alone with your concerns about getting to the 'smallest room in the house' in time. It's an issue that many of us have talked about on this forum!

Making a quick dash to the bathroom using my rollator was getting more and more difficult, and I was getting stressed about getting there 'in time'. I thought - I have two options to make those bathroom trips easier and less stressful:-
    Option 1. Permanently move into the bathroom.
    Option 2. Get myself an 'electric chair' (opps ... I definitely meant 'electric wheelchair' !!!! LOL)

Option 1 might have worked because I could still use my IPad and read a book in there (but I'd definitely get bored after a couple of days! ) LOL

Anyway, to maximise my independence and mobility, option 2 definitely works for me!

There are lots of different options concerning electric wheelchairs and powerchairs. It depends what your priorities are. Mine doesn't have one of those fancy seats that can be raised up to bar-level level (sadly LOL), but more of a priority for me is that it can be folded down and put in the boot of the car.

Although I never envisaged needing a wheelchair, at least these days there's a lot of styles/features to choose from and they can give us the freedom to a dash to the bar (or toilet!) very quickly!!

Another option might be for you to get something like a 'rollator' - I amstill able to use my rollator indoors, but I am a lot more mobile, and can get a lot more done, using my wheelchair.

I hope you are able to get some effective medication for the cramps, because I don't like to think of my 'forum brother' in Thailand being in pain - and we have got enough to deal with, without having painful cramps pestering us!

Your GP might be able to prescribe some painkillers, which might help when the pain is bad (downside is that with many of the stronger painkillers you have to avoid drinking alcohol, and if you take them for more than a few days they can become addictive - but I find they are handy for short-term use and can stop the pain when paracetamol and/or ibuprofen doesn't work). Hopefully you will be able to try magnesium, as suggested by Ellie.

Happy Googling about wheechairs -hopefully you will be able to get yourself one, whenever you would like to.

Cheers!

Kayleigh xx

P.S. Fun fact: leafy green vegetables such as spinach contain magnesium. We'd probably have to eat a shed load of spinach though, for it to have much of a positve effect (if any) on painful cramps - but it didn't seem to do Popeye any harm! LOL
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 10th February 2019 at 17:35.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    Kayleigh you’re a star. Reply later I’m shattered for some reason today xxx Jerry