Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rig tube security

Forum Member

Rig tube security

Just had a peg tube fitted and curious to know what others do with the dangly tube! Is there an easy and comfortable way to secure it out of the way which doesnt involve sticking plaster?

Forum Member
    I would be interested too. Mick put 2 pieces of surgical tape on

Forum Member
    My husband uses the surgical tape too, there must be another way, we have looked on-line and they look quite bulky.

Hi Mandy and Shrew;

I have heard of something like a pouch but can't find it now.

Some people found the tube sticking out under their clothes annoying or uncomfortable. One woman had made a little fabric pouch to cover the end of her husband's PEG tube so it wouldn't dig into his skin when lying down.

I don't know what type of feeding tube your husbands have but if it is a RIG, it will probably be replaced after 4 months. It then could be swapped for a button one that sits very close to the skin. A PEG can also be changed for a button type feeding tube but they do not need changing for a few years.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Mandy,

There are belted pouch-type products available which go around the body. The tube goes into the pouch which then sits against the skin BUT best practice is to allow free circulation of air aroung the site and keep the area dry - moisture build up can lead to fungal growth.

G tube holder.jpg

So, taping the long tube may be better for now, even if his tummy gets a mini-wax Medi tape shouldn't pull his hairs off but don't put tape in the same spot every day.

A long tube can be changed for a low profile button once the tract is established - I have this type - if the feeding tube is balloon retained, most put in by a RIG procedure are, the switch is very easy. If by PEG procedure, it's still straightforward but the bumper retainer in the tummy is usually cut or disconnected.

Switching to a button is a personal choice. I am very happy I did it as it suits my situation better.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Sorry Terry (& Mandy) for similar info in our posts - I started typing, then stopped for lunch, finished typing and posted it, only later seeing that we'd written similar things!!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    Thanks Ellie and Terry very helpful as usual, we have the rig lady (not a nurse, we were told, lol) coming tomorrow to make sure all is well and to take the stitches out so will ask for a button one for the future as my husband would perfer that, he will make do with the surgical tape for now , have a good evening,

love Mandy and Dave.

Forum Member
    great , they did say after 16 wks he would have to go back in , he could hopefully change it to button type

Hi Shrew;

I don't think there's any need to go back in but he might need to be measured before hand, which would involve taking that one out and then measuring and putting a RIG back in till the correct button one arrives.

Maybe if he goes into hospital they will have the different lengths on hand so they can replace it with a button straight away.

Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 13th February 2019 at 19:45.

Forum Member
    thanks Terry i think they said first change done in hospital and then a nurse comes to do subsequent ones but im not sure, last wk a district nurse came to change water in balloon, they said would do this weekly