Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: painful shoulders

Hi Shrew,

Hopefully Mick was able to get a good night's sleep using the extra pillow to support his shoulders. He might be straining the muscles in his shoulders when he sits himself up in bed - his nurse (or OT) might be able to provide him with a profile bed (as well as a suitable mattress and pillow) to make him more comfortable and support his back etc while sitting up.

I hope you are getting enough sleep and rest, as well.

Best wishes to you and Mick,
    Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by lv73 View Post
    I put a pillow at each side from under my shoulder down for my arms to rest on. no more pain in shoulders elbows or hands
    I do like a thin cushion under a arm as well, it just feels more comfortable and also helps relax hands.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    thanks everyone, he didnt get on with a thin pillow. he emailed his MND nurse and she rang him at lunch. She said she would speak to his neurologist who might instruct his gp to provide a prescription. no pain during day just when he lies on his side? he didnt sleep well last night

I can't sleep on my back, only on my side. No idea why its started, but it a pain in the bum having to
    turn over in bed god knows how many times a night!.
    Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick;

I used to have to turn every maximum of two hours because of hip and shoulder pain but that seems to have changed now for the better.

I can't sleep on my back to start off with now normally because I seem to choke as soon as I start to sleep but after a couple of hours on my side and can then move onto my back.

Hope you get something sorted.

Love Terry

Hi Shrew & Mick,

If it were me (which it isn't obvs ) I would first ask an OT to see if there is something to eliminate the cause of the pain, rather than simply masking the pain itself.

It may be that nothing can be done but it's worth seeing if there's a mattress or pillow which will mean no need for having to wake and turn every few hours!!

Of course there is nothing wrong with taking painkillers but sometimes there are physical solutions too - maybe a combination of the two.

Nothing beats a good night's sleep

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    thanks, he slept better last night, i rubbed some gel on ( like a pain relief) he said he put quilt between his legs and was more comfortable , his nurse emailed him his neurologist sent email to his gp to prescribe gabapebtin?

Oh, that's good he slept well last night.

Gabapentin is used for neuropathic (nerve) pain and is commonly enough prescribed.

It may increase his fatigue though, so he should watch for that, and also to make sure it doesn't affect his breathing - a lower dose may lessen these side effects. All drugs have side effects, it's just a matter of pros & cons and managing them.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Hi Shrew,

I hope the painkilling medication works out well for Mick, and that it enables him to sleep well at night-time.

I hope you and Mick have a lovely weekend.

Love,
    Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    thanks, not had any confirmation its been processed yet , he usually gets a text when anything ready for collection at the chemist next door. I might ring in the morning. he also rang his OT this morning but was told that shes on a day off but in tomorrow so she will probably call 2m