Leg Cramping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg Cramping

Hi everyone, I am struggling with bad calf cramping in the night. I have to sleep on my back because my left arm and hand have very little use. I have been sleeping with a pillow under my knees. During the night my left leg can cramp several times I try not to move it too much scared it is going to cramp. It's very painful it sometimes cramps up into my thigh that's not nice. I'm struggling finding a comfortable sleeping position my left shoulder is very bony and painful and my right shoulder and fingers on that hand are hurting to move especially my little finger and the next finger. I've got lots of pillows to prop me up because I have headaches and a bubbling sound when breathing in. I don't know if I need a better bed and mattress. I've been supplied with a pillow riser equipment to prop me up better.

Ginger
  • johnburton
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2018

I suffer from cramp too, and was prescribed with quinine sulphate tablets. They certainly sorted the cramps, but made my tinnitus worse, so I've stopped taking them. I believe Baclofen is another drug that helps, but haven't tried it.

Comment

• shrew
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2018

Mick takes quinnine. Cramps arent new to him. our eldest Daughter remembers her Dad suffering cramps when she was a young girl. tonic water is supposed to be good for cramp

Comment

• Kayleigh
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2018

Hi Ginger,

I have read that Magnesium can help with cramps. There is some advice about magnesium oil and magnesium supplements on the following thread:-

http://http://forum.mndassociation.org/showthread.php?8650-Muscle-cramp-relief-Vitamins&highlight=Cramps

Love
        Kayleigh x

Comment

Hi all thanks for replying. I was put on Quinnine but had a bad reaction to it. My consultant but me on Baclofen and then Gabapentin low doses. I'm a funny one with medications. Tried Riluloze but didn't tolerate that either. I will try Magnesium oil on my legs anything to ease the painful cramping.

Love
          Ginger

Comment

• Ellie
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2012

Hi Ginger,

Magnesium tablets are better than oil, but start off low as they've a laxative effect!

I have to say that your nights sound awful

Tizanidine is an alternative antispasmodic to Baclofen.

Yes, I think you're right - a profile bed and a decent mattress, possibly an alternating air mattress, would improve your comfort.

The headaches are usually breathing related - has anyone mentioned getting a BiPAP machine? I wonder if your head is tipping slightly back?

I hope you get sorted, and soon. Speak to your OT and Community Nurse.

Love Ellie.
            ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Terry
              Forum Member
              • May 2012

Hi ginger,

I thought my night's weren't good.

If you don't have headaches during the day but through the night when you wake you do then it is probably your breathing and a CO2 build up. I think that it can be made worse by sleeping on your back and some medication. Also raising your head and shoulders could squash the breathing symptom a bit. Sorry that I am giving you information that you can't do much about.

Doesn't sound like you have a proflle bed and that might be easier for you to adjust your position.

As you don't seem to tolerate medication well, start off with a very small amount and gradually build it up over four weeks or so. Most peoples body gets used to processing things after a while without any problems.

I have a soft restraint over my little finger and the one next to it and wonder if that would make them more comfortable. I can post a picture of it if you want it.

Love Terry
              TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• nunhead_man
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2017

Hi Ginger

[QUOTE=Ginger;87546]I have to sleep on my back because my left arm and hand have very little use. /QUOTE]

My left arm is quite weak too but had a splint made by my occupational therapist which have had for some time that I wear at night that keeps my hand and forearm and fingers in line.

This allows me to use it as a paddle.

Would something like this help?
                Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

Hi Ellie,

Will try Magnesium tablets and yes I will start low thank you.

I take Baclofen 2 x 3 times a day.

I will speak to my OT about my sleeping problems. I don't seem to be given the equipment I need. I've had to buy my own recliner chair. It should be arriving in next few weeks. Looking forward sitting in a comfortable position. Let's hope she listens to me and can help wirh my sleeping problems. I do get very fatigued during the day if I've had a bad night.

I had a breathing test in September it was okay but I sometimes wake up in the night with headaches and when I sit up after a while they go. I think I've got lots of things to sort out.

I'm going through ill health retirement at the moment so lots of things going on at once.

Love Ginger

Comment

Hi Terry and Andy, I can't move my left arm up at all and my hand doesn't work at all. I was given a resting splint for use but don't use it now fingers have no movement. I sleep with lots of pillows supporting my shoulders and arms. It's just difficult sleeping in any position other than on my back. Thanks for replying

Love Ginger

Comment

• Kayleigh
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2018

Hi Ginger,

I hope the arrangements for your ill-health retirement go smoothly, and that your OT is helpful in providing you with the equipment you need.

It sounds like you could do with a profile bed and supportive mattress. I have read on this forum that some people are provided with them free of charge via their OT or nurse, but I don't know what symptoms we need to have before they can be supplied to us.

For advice about what equipment should be supplied to you, you could possibly contact your local Regional Care Development Adviser.

http://https://www.mndassociation.org/getting-support/mnd-regional-care-development-advisers/

Also, there might be an OT at your local hospice who could give you advice and help with getting the equipment you need.

I hope the magnesium tablets work well for you, and that you will soon be able to get a good night's sleep.

Best wishes
                      Kayleigh x

Comment

Hi Kayleigh,

Thank you yes I do hope my ill health retirement goes smoothly very scary I'm only 50 years old but had to be done .

I do go to my local hospice for physio so will have a word there about advice about equipment and services.

Yes do hope between having Magnesium oil and tablets I can have better nights.

Love Ginger x

Comment

• nunhead_man
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2017

Hi Ginger

Thanks for your thanks and understand more about how you are.

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                          I'm going through ill health retirement at the moment so lots of things going on at once

I sometimes think there is a place for a patients' treatment management qualification :-)

Best

Andy
                          Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

Working...
                          X