• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lynne K
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2017

Sunday day out, advice needed

Hi all, we're planning to meet up with my husbands son and his wife tomorrow. They live in West Yorkshire and we live in Radcliffe Greater Manchester. We did consider a meal in a pub in Malham because it has flat access but the parking on a Sunday is horrendous and involves a hill. I'm not good using my walker on hills, too dangerous, a serious fall risk. But if I had my husband push me in my chair I may then have trouble accessing the loo because it's unlikely to have a disabled one. Anyway, it'd be impossible for my husband to push me up a hill.
    I've done a Google search for alternatives, but not found anything. I even considered us having a picnic but there'd have to be a disabled loo close by.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Many thanks, Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.
  • Kayleigh
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2018

Hi Lynne,

A shopping centre with food outlets could be a possibility - the more modern ones tend to have good parking and disabled toilets, and some of them also have the facility to hire mobility scooters. Usually the shopping centres have their own websites and so if you find some (perhaps by 'googling' shopping centres in the locations you are able to meet up in) you could find out what facilities and food outlets each shopping centre has.

Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 23 February 2019, 14:33.

Comment

• Lynne K
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2017

That's a smashing idea Kayleigh. Thanks. But everyone likes the countryside and doesn't like shopping centres. We used to meet up and walk several miles with them. Recently we've had meals in nice country pubs but access and the loos have been becoming increasingly difficult. A countryside pub is favoured therefore but finding a suitable one is proving to be difficult. Lynne
      ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

Comment

• Deb
        Forum Member
        • May 2018

Hi Lynne,
        It will be lovely for you to be out in the sunshine. Whereabouts in west Yorkshire do they live ? We live in Yorkshire and know quite a few lovely pubs with large disabled toilets and ramps ( it sounds like we're always in pubs ! )
        Love Debbie x

Comment

• shrew
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2018

hi could he not drop you then go and park the car Lynne?

Comment

• Lynne K
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2017

Hi Deb, my hubby decided to book a pub in Skipton. Not a countryside pub but easy for us all to get to. Other weekends we'd love to go to a countryside pub. It doesn't have to be near to where my step son and his wife live (Guiseley) but somewhere between us. It needs to be dog friendly too as they bring their mut. I'd appreciate some suggestions. Thanks.

Shrew, we did consider me being dropped off first but my husband doesn't fancy having to park a long way away anyway. So we'll leave a countryside pub until next time. Thanks Lynne

Comment

• Deb
              Forum Member
              • May 2018

Hi Lynne,

What a small world ! We live really near Guiseley. I will PM you some suggestions for dog friendly pubs with level access, easy blue badge parking and good disabled loos.

Enjoy your day out in Skipton.
              Love Debbie xxx

Comment

• Lynne K
                Forum Member
                • Nov 2017

Thanks Debbie xxx

Comment

• Kayleigh
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2018

I hope you have a wonderful day out in Skipton tomorrow Lynne. It sounds like you can look forward to some great pub lunches in the beautiful Yorkshire countryside too
                  Last edited by Kayleigh; 23 February 2019, 18:16.

Comment

• Lynne K
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2017

Thanks Kayleigh. I'm looking forward to a day out tomorrow and future pub lunches in the countryside. Lynne

Comment

• Kayleigh
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2018

I've never been to Skipton, but it looks like a very picturesque and interesting place to visit:-

http://https://www.yorkshire.com/places/yorkshire-dales/skipton

Comment

• Lynne K
                        Forum Member
                        • Nov 2017

We've been to Skipton lots of times Kayleigh. It's only about an hours drive from us or on a good day less. We've explored around when I was more mobile. Lynne

Comment

• shrew
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2018

My Brother who has downs syndrome loves skipton so I've always took him, usually saturday. More recently me and Mick have gone on a sunday and met some friends from his bike group, one couple live in Steeton, one Bradford way and we meet and have a cheap and cheerful lunch in the wetherspoons. Have a nice time Lynne

Comment

• Lynne K
                            Forum Member
                            • Nov 2017

Thanks Shrew. My husband and his son have decided to go to Malham after all tomorrow. We've been to Skipton lots of times and when I was more mobile wandered all around it, including the castle. Its close enough for us to nip up midday for a light lunch or bag of chips. Lynne

Comment

• Sheila
                              Forum Member
                              • Feb 2019

Hi Lynne
                              Have a lovely day tomorrow. The sun will be shining for you.

Sheila.

Comment

Working...
                              X