Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing Housing needs and donít know what our options are??

Forum Member
    Hello Claire,

I am so sorry that you have such alot to cope with... it's too much!
    The early days after diagnosis are such a shock and it is so scary when you know your home is not suitable or safe for you. Hopefully your OT will be really proactive in helping you get suitable housing, which should be such a relief for you. Before we moved my husband used to lift my feet on the stairs . Looking back now that was so dangerous and he was strong enough to lift me.. I couldn't have done it if it was the other way round.

It might be different in other area but our wheelchair services will provide one manual and one electric wheelchair. The electric one is a heavy neuro chair so you would need an adapted car to go out with it. We funded a lightweight folding electric wheelchair for me to use in the house and to get in and out of the car quickly.

I am so sorry because everything must seem so overwhelming at the moment. I know it's easier said then done but do try to take one day at a time. Like your husband I have had periods of progression and then times when there is a plateau.

Take care of yourself too because that is so important. I hope you have love and support around you.
    Love Debbie x

Kayleigh is right. I got a light weight portable manual wheelchair first. Getting my powered wheelchair was hard. You have to prove that you need it indoors and outside. My OT got them to get me one to cut down my falls inside. The guy who came to assess said that they wouldn't usually have given it if I can still use a walker indoors. But because my OT had stressed about my falls he reluctantly let me have it. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

It is so wrong that the wheelchair assessment is based on your ability or not to be mobile in your own home. We all know (me especially) that falls are our worst enemy and we should not have to endure injuries to prove this.
    There is a huge disconnect between wheelchair services and the MNDA.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member

I couldnít ask for more love and support

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Hello Claire,

I am so sorry that you have such alot to cope with... it's too much!
    The early days after diagnosis are such a shock and it is so scary when you know your home is not suitable or safe for you. Hopefully your OT will be really proactive in helping you get suitable housing, which should be such a relief for you. Before we moved my husband used to lift my feet on the stairs . Looking back now that was so dangerous and he was strong enough to lift me.. I couldn't have done it if it was the other way round.

It might be different in other area but our wheelchair services will provide one manual and one electric wheelchair. The electric one is a heavy neuro chair so you would need an adapted car to go out with it. We funded a lightweight folding electric wheelchair for me to use in the house and to get in and out of the car quickly.

I am so sorry because everything must seem so overwhelming at the moment. I know it's easier said then done but do try to take one day at a time. Like your husband I have had periods of progression and then times when there is a plateau.

Take care of yourself too because that is so important. I hope you have love and support around you.
    Love Debbie x

Thanks Debbie,

I am blessed with family and friends who want to help and support x

Thank you for your kind reply xx
    Claire x

how strong is your husbands grip? if he couldn't operate an electric wheelchair it will be a waste of time ,our application for housing was fast tracked !after !!!!the occupational therapist (Who was very helpful) had assessed my mother, she was offered a bungalow but by then a bedroom it been built with a disabled shower, which she couldn't use, I wish I'd had more assertiveness!! as it took a long time to get the wheelchair !but it's hard to feel assertive !!when you're watching the person you love suffer !!!!!!.

Hello Claire,
    I am so very sorry to hear about your husbandís diagnosis of MND and the subsequent struggles that you and your family are facing as a result of his deteriorating health. Please know that we are there for you and your family.
    As you have raised several issues and concerns, I think that it would be helpful to talk to you in order to explore ways in which we could support you all.
    With regards to housing, I was so sorry to learn that your private landlord is now looking to sell your home and as such I wondered if we could give you some direction in relation to housing options and in addition we could, if appropriate, write a letter of support should you wish to consider either council or housing association accommodation.
    We could also discuss benefits and entitlements that you and your husband may be eligible to claim.
    Please do get in contact with us and we will do all we can to support you all. We are available on 0808 8026262, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
    Kindest regards
    Ruth
    MND Connect