Thread: Making transfer from chair to bed easier - using hoist

Forum Member

Making transfer from chair to bed easier - using hoist

Hello, Hoping you might have tips on making transfers from the chair to the bed easier. My mother in law is really keen to try the hospital bed but transferring from the chair to bed via the hoist takes 2 people and causes her pain. We want her to feel safe and limit the distress. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Hi Bluebell and welcome to the Forum.

Can I first ask please - what type of hoist is being used, sit to stand or full hoist? What sling? Is your MIL tranferring from a wheelchair?

And (finally!) what part of her is painful during the transfer?

It just gives a picture of what's happening.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    Hi Ellie, thank you - its a full hoist and I'm sorry I not sure of type of sling, will need to check. The current suggestion is to move her from the riser/recliner to the bathroom/toilet chair and then from there into the sling and main hoist. She has some movement in her right arm, but not in her legs or left arm. The pain is in her arms and neck, and whilst trying to roll to position the sling for getting out of bed. She does have a power wheelchair but mostly uses the riser/recliner.

There is a bit of a dilemna with slings for full hoists because they're mostly made of polyester for "easy" friction free fitting, but polyester isn't the most comfortable material! Padded slings exist but may be more difficult to get on.

In general, slings are full body or toileting, with different design features such as high backs (for heads) and hammock style, which can squash arms, or open armed which don't put pressure on the arms, but don't support them either! Having arms in or out, supported or unsupported, can make a big difference to comfort.

If your MIL has a weak neck, there are slings which give head support but they don't stop her head from tipping forward, so she may find she needs to wear a collar for these transfers.

Do you know if her OT had input into the type of sling provided?

I don't really know what to suggest re rolling her to get the sling on initially, sorry. I hope someone has tips for you. Is she happy with her current mattress or is it just the physical act of turning that causes pain to your MIL?

And the RR to loo chair transfer is good for her?

Love Ellie.

Forum Member
    Yes, these are the OT suggested slings; they are coming again Friday to review and see if we can improve the transfer. Still find the trial and error difficult. The transfer between chairs she is happy with. This is the first time in the bed, so I know we may find the first mattress isn't quite right and may need changing. She has been sleeping well in the RR chair for the last while finding it very comfortable and no sores, but is now ready for the bed, we just hadn't appreciated how difficult it would be to make it happen. Will suggest wearing the collar and ask if we can try further slings. Thank you.

Hope the OT will be of help on Friday.

You might find it helpful to look at the pictures of the slings in this brochure to give you an idea of different sling types.

http://www.invacare.ie/sites/ie/file...5c6a8bcddb.pdf

There are lots of companies all doing more or less the same, this is handy as you can see how your MIL would be in each type of sling.

Best of luck - as you said, it's trial and error.

Forum Member
    Hi Ellie

Just wanted to say thank you for the brochure and support, sorry it took me so long to reply. We have had some success - just needed to change the sheet to one with more movement/slip, and practice is making it easier.

x

Good to know Bluebell, thanks for the feedback.

Love Ellie.

Hi bluebell,

See if your OT will supply will provide something like these, I have a draw string base sheet and use a silk square on top of it to slide easier.

http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/all-w...xoCOKMQAvD_BwE

Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 14th March 2019 at 18:06.

Forum Member
    Hi Bluebell,

I have a ceiling hoist fitted - it is a single person operation and works really well. OT should recommend. I have been reduced to one arm and hand but my wife is able to safely transfer me from chair to bed, bed to commode, commode to chair - easy for single person to operate.

We were offered a manual hoist but my good lady put her foot down with a firm hand - result - ceiling hoist fitted.

(cost around 1500 ~2000) ex vat fitted0 But don't pay yourself - these are NHS items.