Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas of food

Ideas of food

For those of us that can eat and swallow but have trouble with things like bread getting stuck on the roof of our mouth, try,soda bread.

I found it very good but it was fresh from Marks and Spencer.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the advice about soda bread -I'll give it a try. Do you usually put butter on it?

I might try soda bread dipped in soup. Pieces of bread broken up in smooth soup seem to be easier for me to eat, rather than eating bread and butter by itself.

I hope the Easter Bunny brings you something nice!

Love,
    Kayleigh xx

Forum Member
    Thanks Terry, I shall have to give soda bread a try. Bread does get stuck to the roof of my mouth, it's weird never use to happen. Best wishes
    Sheila.

Hi Sheila and Kayleigh;

I think that our tongues and things in the mouth don't work so well and that's why lettuce, bread and many other things get stuck there and inbetween the gums and lips.

I do have butter on the soda bread but would stick to white bread or better still, bits of freshly cooked rolls to drown in your smooth soup. But if you want a bit of bread and butter to eat along side it as well, soda bread could be the way to go Kayleigh.

Love Terry

Hi Terry

I will get some of that for Steve. He is just starting to eat again after his time in hospital, he had trouble swallowing with all the secretions but it is now getting better and likes a bit of bread.

Sue

Forum Member
    Hi Terry,
    IT is surprising how much our tongues do, eating and talking. Things I use to take for granted, until something like this happens. I miss talking properly, now my voice is so poor. Just goes to show nothing is guaranteed in life.
    Some days when I am feeling low, I wonder how others are coping.?
    Speak soon
    Love Sheila

Thanks for your helpful advice Terry. Love Kayleigh xx

I agree Sheila, having to adapt to different ways doing things isn't easy. I think it's a case of taking one day at a time and asking for advice and help as and when we need it. You are not alone with finding things overwhelming sometimes - I find that some days are better than others, but being part of this lovely forum really helps because I know I'm not alone with the challenges I face. Please don't hesitate to ask for advice whenever you would like to. Love and hugs. Kayleigh xx

Forum Member
    IT sounds crazy but I find toast easier to eat. It doesn't "clag up" in the roof of my mouth.

Forum Member
    Hi Kayleigh! thank you for your reply. I agree one day at a time is the best thing. I do tend to over think things and get myself into a right old state. The bad things about mnd, I just can't read. I tend to try and avoid them.

Miranda! yes I agree!!! I find toast much easier to eat. It must be the butter and marmalade I put on it or maybe it's because it's warm which makes it softer?

Love Sheila xx

Forum Member
    Hi Terry

I do miss eating bread. I was in the hospice two weeks ago and I tried some bread and butter pudding with plenty of custard and it went down pretty easily if I took my time. I hadn't thought of that and it was very good.

Mick.