Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First night of PEG feed

Poor Richard, that's all he needs

It is unusual to start off feeding with the full amount of feed and at the full rate of 125ml/h though - the guidlines suggest a gradual introduction if at all possible.

Can I ask: Is he constipated? Is he taking much water ? Would he usually spend so long in bed?

I hope GP finds out fast if it's a UTI or not so you can explore other avenues, if necessary.

Big hug.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

I said to the GP that it had been mentioned to me that it was unusual to start with peg feed in the manner that Richard has. She didn't think it was anything to do with that but I will call dietician too to see what she has to say.

He isn't constipated if anything a little looser than usual. I`m trying to get him to drink more, but if he doesn't I may put more fluids through peg in the day time.

We start the feed at about 8-9pm in his chair then goes to bed about 11pm. Gets up between 9-10am in the morning.

Hopefully we will hear back from GP quickly

Love Amanda

Yes, I think it's a good idea to put extra water through his tube.

Not enough hydration will make urine more concentrated which may cause issues - 35mls of fluid per kilo of one's weight is the rule of thumb, or not less than 2 litres for a man, but double check with his Dietitian. (The feed doesn't count towards fluid intake.)

It took my bowels a good few days to get used to both the feed and the fact it was going straight into my stomach!!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.