Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on mattresses

Hybrid View

Forum Member

Advice on mattresses

Hi everyone
    I am experiencing pain in my hips and lower back while sleeping at night. I sleep on my back as I cannot move throughout the night. I have recently started to experience pain in my hips and back and was wondering if anyone could offer a solution. I have looked at a mattress topper which is designed to prevent bedsores by alleviating the pressure at various points during the night automatically using a pump.

Has anyone use this type of mattress aid to help with a restful nights sleep.

Many thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Sorry about your pain.

Your OT or Nurse will assess your mattress needs and should provide a mattress appropriate to your pressure sore risk.

In the immediate term, try putting a pillow under your knees to take some weight off your lower back and see if you think pillows anywhere else would help.

A profile bed may be good too, with the appropriate pressure relieving mattress - your Community Nurse usually looks after this.

I also cannot move and sleep all night on my back - I'm in the "very high risk" category for pressure sores but sleep comfortably on an appropriate alternating air mattress.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    My husband is also very high risk and sleeps on his back. He has an airwave mattress and profile bed supplied by OT from NHS and loves his bed. Also is it free and they will assess you for exactly what you need. Tony has loads of equipment, special shower chair, slings, hoists, riser/recliner chair etc all supplied by NHS for free. They will upgrade as a persons's needs change and service the equipment, replace and mend as needed.

Spitfire, I used to sleep on my right side but now on my back. My local Council been very good they provided a Hospital bed. This is very comfortable it raises the legs from knee area and the back from hip area and you can tilt it down and back so get very comfortable.
    Best wishes John

Forum Member
    Hi everyone

Thank you for all of your comments and advice I have just had an OT advisor round who has assessed my needs and will help in providing a solution.

Many thanks to you all

Tony

Hi everyone,

I had my first visit from a District Nurse at around 11:30 this morning. She suggested a ripple air mattress and a ripple cushion for my armchair and said she would request them for me. At 4:00 this afternoon there was a knock at the door and it was a chap delivering both items! He set up the mattress for me and explained what needs to be done.

Amazingly quick delivery!
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillette View Post
    Hi everyone,

I had my first visit from a District Nurse at around 11:30 this morning. She suggested a ripple air mattress and a ripple cushion for my armchair and said she would request them for me. At 4:00 this afternoon there was a knock at the door and it was a chap delivering both items! He set up the mattress for me and explained what needs to be done.

Amazingly quick delivery!
    That's great to hear Dina - and even quicker than Amazon! I hope you find your new mattress and cushion are very comfortable.

Love Kayleigh x

Wow, that's amazingly quick Dina. Lucky you. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Tony, I'm exactly the same. My back pain gets unbelievably bad after an hour or so on my back at night (I've got severely degenerated discs). I turn to my right hip and after an hour or two unbelievable pain now in my back and right hip so I reluctantly turn on to my left hip. This hip is sore already. I have severe inflammation in it because I had the labrum removed a few years ago. So serious pain very shortly in both hips and my back. I've tried 3 different mattresses on our current bed and I'm on the 3rd topper. This one is a little easier to turn on, by grabbing the headboard spaced out wooden pieces and pushing with my feet and body as best I can. But it's getting more difficult. It's hardly made any difference to my pain. My neurologist said that she's going to write to my GP to get appropriate medication. But I'm reluctant to take pain killers because of side effects. Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 21st May 2019 at 23:10.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    This one is a little easier to turn on, by grabbing the headboard spaced out wooden pieces and pushing with my feet and body as best I can. But it's getting more difficult.

Wendylett sheets are brilliant for helping you turn in bed. They have a silky centre panel and your OT should provide them. There is also a L shaped grab rail which fits under your mattress.