Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on mattresses

Forum Member
    What a quick delivery!
    Lynne, Mick sleeps on his side and his shoulders were getting painful, I guess because they are quite bony. He rang OT , she couldnt suggest anything. He emailed his MND nurse who sent a prescription to our GP for gabapentin but he didnt take any. Someone at work gave me a massive cuddle cushion, each of the legs is 9ft, he sleeps snuggled into this and at the moment he's sleeping ok

Well, I've just had my first night's sleep on the new mattress and it was great! I still awoke several times through the night but I fell asleep again very quickly. The box that the leads plug into was a bit noisy so my partner stood it on the floor instead of it hanging on the bed frame. That reduced the noise considerably. I am looking forward to using the seat cushion today.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Forum Member
    This one is a little easier to turn on, by grabbing the headboard spaced out wooden pieces and pushing with my feet and body as best I can. But it's getting more difficult.

Wendylett sheets are brilliant for helping you turn in bed. They have a silky centre panel and your OT should provide them. There is also a L shaped grab rail which fits under your mattress.

Hi Miranda, thanks for reminding me about silky sheets. I bought 2 pr of pure silk and one pair of satin pj's a couple of months ago so these ought to slip nicely on a silky sheet. I'm going to search for a double sized with a silk panel my side or a full silk sheet. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Sounds great Dina. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    That sounds great Dina !

I have grab rails and a bed frame and I can turn in the night but it's a struggle. I have to take the duvet off to move my legs with my arms. I usually go straight back to sleep but it wakes my husband as I have generally thrown the whole duvet on top of him !

I am hoping it will be easier in warmer weather as no covers but I am going to talk to my OT
    about alternatives. The silky sheets sound great.

Love Debbie x

Here's to another good sleep tonight Dina. If the unit on the floor is getting in the way, sometimes putting a folded towel between the bed frame and control unit absorbs the noise.

Good luck with it!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Thanks for the tip, Ellie.
    I've been using the cushion in my armchair today but I don't think I have it in the right position. I shall the District Nurse when she comes on Friday.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Hi Debbie,

I wonder if a fleece blanket would be better for you, it's not as bulky as a duvet.

I can only cope with a sheet and a fleece blanket, as I find the duvet physically too heavy on my body - mind you I cannot move, so your experience will probably be different.

Love Ellie.

Was it uncomfortable Dina or what did you feel was wrong with it?