Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on mattresses

Hi again Miranda. I have a bed rail. It's not as good as the one I had on the divan In the other house. We're using an IKEA slatted base bed with wooden frame and ends now. That one wouldn't fit on this bed. The local services swapped that one for a smaller one (in height and width) that's the only one that'd fit on the slats. It's better than nothing. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Shrew. Sorry about Micks sore shoulders. Can you send a pic of the cuddle cushion please or a link to a site that sells them, so that I can have a look. Thanks Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne K View Post
    Hi again Miranda. I have a bed rail. It's not as good as the one I had on the divan In the other house. We're using an IKEA slatted base bed with wooden frame and ends now. That one wouldn't fit on this bed. The local services swapped that one for a smaller one (in height and width) that's the only one that'd fit on the slats. It's better than nothing. Lynne
    This is similar to the one I had. It fits under the mattress

https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/b...-bed-grab-rail

Hope you get something sorted, a good night's sleep is invaluable .

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Was it uncomfortable Dina or what did you feel was wrong with it?
    Whereas the mattress movements were subtle, those in the cushion were more noticeable. It was difficult to sit comfortably as it felt as though I was riding a carousel.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Oh dear!!

Dina, do you know if it can be adjusted to different weights or pressure levels and circulation time? You may need to find your Goldilocks settings... Or it may just take time to get used to it. The important thing is it should be comfy and eliminate the risk of getting pressure sores.

Some cushions alternate pairs of air cells each circulation - meaning if you are sitting on 4 long cells of air, numbers 1 & 3 will move in an air circulation, next time numbers 2 & 4 will move, and if the time between circulations is short, it'd feel strange for sure!

If you can't find your perfect setting (I've been given the nickname Goldilocks by OTs ) tell your nurse as there are other types of cushions available - you don't have to be uncomfortable.

Good luck!

Love Ellie.
    Last edited by Ellie; 23rd May 2019 at 17:38.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Thanks, Ellie.

When the chap delivered them he told me it's the nurses who adjust it. They are coming tomorrow morning so I'm hoping to talk to them about it.
    Dina

Thanks Miranda, Lynne

Hi Lynne,

If you contact Jennie, the OT, she would probably get you one from the Equipment Service. It would save you paying for one.
    Dina

Good idea Dina, thanks, but I'm going to make the most of the one I've got. See you again soon, Lynne