Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Awaiting diagnosis

Hello Daniel. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms and the anxiety they are causing you.

I thought I'd tell you about my husband's symptoms. He had a few falls then became less mobile day by day. His right foot gradually turned out. His feet and legs swelled and he got very red knees.

He never felt any weakness and even though he cannot walk a step he has no muscle wastage.

He was diagnosed after exhaustive tests and 2 emg's.

I wonder if occupational health ( as it was called in my day!) may help. Could they speed things up for you or provide emotional support.

I wish you well, we never expected an mnd diagnosis but the support we have had has been brilliant. Please try not to worry too much.

Forum Member
    Thank you to everyone for your kind wishes and support. I have an MRI scan booked for tomorrow and nerve conduction tests on Friday.

Daniel

Forum Member
    thinking of you Daniel. when Mick had his emg we got result same day because he was in patient

Forum Member
    Good wishes for the MRI scan today

Forum Member
    Good luck with your tests Daniel, I hope you get some answers soon.

Love Debbie

Thinking of you Daniel.

Hopefully you will get a follow-up appointment with your neurologist quickly, so that you can get the results of the tests as soon as possible.

I hope that you are still able to enjoy some quality time with you friends and family, despite this being a very anxious time for you. Your GP might be able to prescribe some medication to ease your anxiety and/or refer you for some counselling, if you would like some.

Love
    Kayleigh xx
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    Kayleigh,
    The MRI didn't go to well as I did not cope with the feeling of being so enclosed. It was heightened by my anxiety and I kept twitching. They had to stop. I am going back tomorrow for a second attempt. I am on Mirtazapine for my depression. I am in such a mess. I can not lift or grip as well as I could and am getting cramps and fasciculations at night. I understand all that everyone goes through on here and am inspired by your ability to carry on. I am hoping I too will find some inner strength soon to try and steady my fears and nerves.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I'm sorry to hear that the MRI didn't go too well today. When I had my MRI there was some music playing in the scanner which helped to relax me - but perhaps not all scanners have that option.

If you can, try to relax tomorrow. I know its not easy, but during the scan try think about something enjoyable that you are going to do with your family in the evening or at the weekend. Perhaps plan something to do with your daughter when she gets home from school tomorrow, like watching her favourite DVD with her. Once you are in the scanner, try to think of the scan as being something that won't take long - it will soon be finished and this is the countdown to it being out of the way.

I know from experience that MRI and other tests are not easy to deal with. It is completely understandable why you are anxious about them - but it will be good to get the tests out of the way, as they are one step closer to finding out what is causing your symptoms. Please try to remember that there are lots of possibilities for the cause of your symptoms. Try to go with the flow of things and wait to hear what your neurologistist says at your follow-up appointment, rather than jumping to any conclusions.

I know its not easy, but try to take one day at a time if you can. I can understand why you are anxious about tomorrow. Perhaps there are things you can plan to do with your family or friends at the weekend, so that you can look forward to spending quality time with them, rather than worrying too much.

Although my diagnosis was not what I hoped for, life goes on for me and my family. I manage to enjoy quality time with family and friends, especially in the evenings and at the weekends, when they are not at work or school etc.

If you can keep occupied, focusing on the things you can still do rather than what you find difficult to do, then that might help with taking your mind off medical worries.

Even every-day things, like asking your daughter to read some of her school reading book to you, are great things to keep occupied with - you will both enjoy her reading to you, and it will help to take your mind off your symptoms for a while.

Please try to take one day at a time. Remember that you can always go back to your GP for advice if you find that you are still anxious, although you are taking anti-depressants. Sometimes medication needs to be adjusted by a GP, so that depression and/or anxiety can be treated effectively. Also, sometimes it takes a little while for anti-depressants to kick in fully, but hopefully your GP has already advised you about this. Please don't hesitate to go back to your GP if you need further advice about controlling your anxiety/depression - GPs are there to give us on-going support.

If you would like to talk to someone, there is the MND helpline, and also the Samaritans offer support on the telephone to anyone going through a stressful or tough time in their life. The telephone number for the Samaritans is at the end of the 'MNDA Connect helpline' webpage:-

http://https://www.mndassociation.org/getting-support/mnd-connect/

Hopefully everything will go ok at the hospital tomorrow. Try to focus on all the good things and wonderful people in your life - the power of positive thinking, together with the love and support from family and friends, can get us through the toughest of times.

Please be kind to yourself - despite all your worries, you are being brave and doing everything you can to cope with this challenging time in your life.

I hope you have a relaxing evening and that everything goes smoothly for you tomorrow.

Love
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 21st March 2019 at 18:18.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    it must have felt very claustrophobic for you. when Mick had his last March the gp gave him something to take that relaxed him. take care

Forum Member
    Hi Daniel! I am sorry things didn't go too well at the hospital today. I hope you will be ok tomorrow. I suffer terribly with very bad anxiety as well! the doctor is trying me on Sertraline but last night my bottom lip swelled up (I actually resembled Mick Jagger!!!) So I have stopped taking them.
    I wish you the very best of luck for tomorrow! Like Kayleigh said, it's best to try and take each and everyday as it comes. That's what my husband and son says to me all the time.

Best wishes!

Sheila