Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advise on a Motability Vehicle.

Forum Member

Post Advise on a Motability Vehicle.

Afternoon Guys, Can any advise on the best type of vehicle, We have applied for PIPS which should be through in a couple of weeks.

Since losing my company car we have been using my wifes VW UP which isn't great as the seat is too low. Although I can get the wheelchair in boot without dropping the seats.

I was thinking of an SUV type which is higher or do I need a vehicle for on / off wheelchair access.

Thanks all

Hi Kev;

Not quite sure how Mnd is affecting your wife and your situation. I bought a older WAV auto early on as I could drive my scooter on it earlier on and then used it for my wheelchair. Travelling in the back can be quite a harsh ride in some of them though.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thanks Terry, At the mo the left leg has little strength and the right is going the same way.
    I was thinking of an SUV for the seat height.

Thanks again.

Kev & Lucy

Hi Kev,

I get where you're coming from - yes, the higher seat of an SUV is easier for both you & Lucy.

It's impossible to say how long Lucy will be able to transfer into a passenger seat this way and I'd hate you to splash out on a new car only to need a WAV in a matter of months.

I say it's impossible to know because, although I've no purposeful movement of my legs, the muscle tone is high, meaning I can still do standing transfers. My arms on the other hand, have low muscle tone, so if my legs were similar, I wouldn't manage to transfer to the passenger seat and would need a WAV to accomodate me sitting in my wheelchair.

I have been lucky to be doing it this way for years, I wish you had a crystal ball to help with your decision!!

I wonder if using a turning cushion on the car seat would make thing easier for both of you? It helps swing the legs into the footwell. (I am mindful of your back!)

Car seat turner.jpg

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Kev;

If you are strong and she is light it would make a difference. You can use a slide board to transfer from the wheelchair to a front seat sometimes depending on progression and if the seat heights are similar. You can also get front seats that swivel and even slide onto wheels to make a wheelchair.

Love Terry

Hi Kev and Lucy,

With reference Ellie's suggestion about the turning cushion, I use one those in the car and on chairs indoors (because of my weak legs), and I also use a portable 'car handle' to help me when getting in and out of the car (my hands and arms are still fairly strong):-

http://https://www.careco.co.uk/item-p-dl06203/car-handle/

There are examples of the cushions in the 'Car Mobility Aids' section of the NRS website:-

https://www.nrshealthcare.co.uk/mobi...ids/car-travel

My OT wouldn't provide me with these items but, as you might have already gathered from reading this forum, it's a bit of a postcode lottery about what OTs do provide - and so it might be worth asking Lucy's OT to provide one or both items, if they are likely to be useful. (The cushion might be something that Lucy could use indoors, as well as in a car).

Very best wishes,
    Kayleigh

P.S. I have just read Terry's post suggesting the use of a slide board. I don't have one, but it's possibly something that OTs will provide, if we ask for one.

Thanks for the useful 'slide board' suggestion Terry - I hadn't thought of that, and it will probably come in useful for me in the very near future!
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 16th March 2019 at 16:22.

Hi Kayleigh,

If your OT doesn't provide a sliding board and you're thinking of buying one, please don't spend money on one (or at least make sure you can get a refund on it) because you need full arm strength, good trunk strength and balance to make the transfer. It's much tighter getting in/out of the car than, for example, transferring from chair to bed.

I think you have ALS? It'd be different if you have PLS.

Maybe your Clinic physio would have one for you to try or the hospice (IDK if you're linked into a hospice?)

I wouldn't want you wasting your money!!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Ellie,

Many thanks for your very kind and thoughtful advice.

My upper body strength is fairly good at the moment, but taking on board your good advice, I'm not going to rush into buying a board yet. I'm going to ask my OT about it first, and then take things from there (my local hospice is always very helpful, and so I can contact them for advice as well).

I hope you and your family are having a lovely weekend.

Love
    Kayleigh x

Forum Member
    We have a VW caddy that she can drive her power chair into an is more or less between the the two back seats with plenty room behind her for luggage etc.

Hi Kev,

Your post mentions Motability and assuming your wife qualifies for the higher mobility allowance you can choose a vehicle to suit her needs. If the needs change then Motability are very understanding about changing vehicles.

An SUV is very useful for carrying walkers and scooters etc and they also allow for easy entry. I speak from personal experience and if you don’t need the mobility allowance to supplement income then it’s a no brainer.

I hope you both make a choice that suits your needs.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry52; 16th March 2019 at 23:26.
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!