Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advise on a Motability Vehicle.

Forum Member
    Dont forget everyone there is the option to not use your mobility allowance and purchase a vehicle. We bought in 2012 a second hand (2007) fiat doblo for my late mum who had alzheimers and had lost the ability to walk. She passed away in oct 2013. As a family we still own the vehicle. It is on NI plates and came off the mobility scheme. From memory I think we paid about £4500 nearly 7 years ago for it. it is unsual in that it has 4 seats plus room for the chair.

Hi Debbie,

Terry offers sound advice about trying vehicles if you intend to purchase one. If you go down the Motability route then you will need the higher pip allowance. I’m not sure from what you say if you have the higher pip but if not apply now. With Motability the vehicle tends to be 16 weeks from order and more if it requires modifications.

Best wishes,
    Barry x
    Last edited by Barry52; 14th April 2019 at 12:43.
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Lynne,

Sorry to hear about your car, I always point people towards a WAV straight away if you can't use a normal automatic car.

I don't know much about the Mobility Scheme but I thought that they would exchange the vehicle if it no longer suited. I didn't think that you had to pay a early exit fee of £250.

If you get a new WAV on the scheme you will have to make a down payment for it.

Love Terry

Hi Lynne

We exchanged our moability car for a wav. We didn’t have to pay the £250 but you do have to have a year left on your pips assessment. They gave us a grant towards the down payment, but this means tested and they have some say in what they want you to have. We had to have a large van because Steve’s chair is quite large. We didn’t have their suggestions but allied who went through had to submit photos to say what we chose was ok. It did take a while to sort but some of that was because I wanted automatic and they were changing something to do with the engines at the time.
    If you go on motability site you can look at the different wavs and the company’s will bring them out for you to test. We tested three different ones from two different companies.
    Sue

Thanks for the info Sue. I didn't know that you could have more than one brought out. When you say that it it took a while, how long are you talking about and did you keep a previous motability car until it was time to take posession of the WAV or what? We want auto and hopefully petrol not diesel but most that I've seen online so far are diesel. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

I have the higher rate PIP Debbie. Thanks for confirming time scales. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Forum Member
    Thanks Everyone for your replies . This is the best place for advice,

Sorry not to be clear but I do have the higher rate of PIPS. We have been managing with our car so far. The time scales are really useful, so we know to order one before it becomes an absolute necessity. Also means hubby won't have to lift and dismantle heavy scooter and wheelchair.
    We are going to look at WAVS this week and have a test.

At the risk of sounding totally girly, I'll choose the colour!.
    Thank you,
    Love Debbie x

I hope you enjoy shopping for a WAV Debbie.

Nothing wrong with being girly! - I'd choose red to co-ordinate with my favourite nail varnish

I hope you and your family are having a lovely day.

Kayleigh xx
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Sounds good about trying out WAVs this week. I look forward to how you get on because as well as thinking of your search going well I'm going to do the same in a month or so. I'll be watching for tips and feedback. Good luck Deb Lynne x

Debbie it is your prerogative to choose the colour. I’m the driver (our dear departed Max used this) and I get to choose the vehicle but my wife always chooses the colour.

Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!