Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advise on a Motability Vehicle.

Forum Member
    Thanks Ellie, Turning cushion has not been mentioned before, I'll investigate this option.
    This would take the pressure off my back.

Thanks
    Kev & Lucy

Forum Member
    Thanks for the Advise Barry,Those are my thoughts exactly.

Best Wishes
    Kev & Lucy

Forum Member
    Hi All, Purchased a portable grab handle which has made it easier for Lucy to get out of the VW Up ( Had to purchase it-postcode lottery as Kayleigh said) I l try and get a cushion FOC.

Didn't realize how your postcode determines if you pay or not. Makes me laugh when the OT visits and suggestd something and finished the sentence- we don't supply so you will have to pay for that item. :-)

Kev & Lucy

I purchased a turning cushion, the thinnest one, for my dining room chair. It's great. I don't have any in the car because don't want to ruin the comfort of my original car seat. When the time comes I can get one. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Lynne,

The thicker ones are comfy enough even for my bony bottom to spend over an hour in the car without discomfort

My OT gave me the thin one a while ago, but I bought a thicker one when I lost more muscle.

They're great inventions.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Thanks Ellie. Lynne x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

You could try a thin flexible one like these:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotating-....c100005.m1851

No reviews on these but some other similar ones were probably a bit small.

You can also try two plastic carrier bags.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Hi Everyone,

I have been struggling to get out of our car recently to transfer. Our lovely physio is coming to our home next week to try some handles and turning seats, which I am hoping will provide a short term solution.

In the longer term I know I need to look at WAVS so I have been looking back at older threads to see recommendations. There is so much choice we are not sure where to start. I would quite like my wheelchair to be in the front next to the driver but I have read this is quite uncomfortable, maybe because of suspension?

Also, if you have the higher rate PIPS to use for your mobility car it seems to still take a while to be approved so I am guessing I should apply now.

Thank you for any advice,
    Love Debbie x

Hi Debbie;
    AV's, to sit next to the driver is by far the most comfortable way normally for people in wheelchairs because you're in-between the wheels and the suspension. Being in the back of small WAV's can be quite rough because you have all of the weight of the power chair and you over the rear wheels.

Some vans are better than others so I always say try before you buy and travel on roughish roads. It would be good to try a few out if you can so you get an idea of things.

Love Terry

Hi Terry. I just read your post about small WAVs. I'm going to change my motability car to a WAV in a month or 2. Only had my car nearly a year so they'll bill me for the shortened contract 250 I think despite me having put 1450 approx up front that I'll loose. Part of that cost was the hoist that's hardly been used. I'll definitely not get my moneys worth. My Ford garage doesn't do WAVs so I'll have to research and explore elsewhere. Lynne