Thread: Soft food diet

Forum Member

Soft food diet

There are already lots of ideas for soft foods on the forum and MNDA have some brilliant publications but I have just discovered ready made pancakes!! Just heat in microwave for a few seconds then add savoury or sweet fillings. They are so easy to swallow and, unlike bread, don't clag up in the roof of my mouth. No more sandwiches for me.

Hi Miranda,

Thanks for the tip about ready made pancakes. I know what you mean about bread 'clagging'.

I find that wraps (with a soft filling like tuna mayonnaise) are much easier to eat than sandwiches.

I usually just use sweet fillings for pancakes, but your post has prompted me to think about savoury options.

Do you have any favourite savoury pancake fillings?

I hope you are having a lovely weekend.

Love,
    Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    Thanks for tip Miranda, that sounds nice. I will have to try it.
    Best wishes
    Sheila

Thanks for the pancake idea. I showed this message to my husband. I don't need especially soft food yet, but I'm getting a lot of indigestion and reflux and want to reduce my bread intake because it might be contributing to this. Fat is to be avoided too. My husband said that he likes pancakes so that's a good idea for us. I'm going to try to change my breakfast. I had porridge for years, but one morning last year the thought made me feel ill. I tried to ignore it, but taking a spoonful made me bawk. So I've been having 2 eggs (boiled, scrambled or poached) with toast. I had smoked salmon with it lots of times over scrambled egg, but I'm not doing that now. Pancakes for breakfast sounds nice. I wonder what to have on them? I'm off sweet things, so savoury suggestions are welcome. Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 17th March 2019 at 23:58.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Kayleigh using the pancake as a wrap with a filling inside is a great idea. Scrambled egg or egg mayo or tuna mayo should be good fillings

Hi Douglas,

Thank you for kindly suggesting some savoury pancake fillings. They sound delicious and I will enjoy trying them out.

Best wishes to you and your wife,
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 18th March 2019 at 00:09.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    Savoury fillings - cream cheese, tuna mayo, sardines, grated cheese, smoked salmon, IKEA jars of herring.
    Sweet fillings - mashed banana, fruit, creme fraich, Nutella, honey, maple syrup and, of course, lemon and sugar

Thanks Miranda. Good ideas. If I I think of other savoury fillings I'll post. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Miranda,

They sound lovely and very versatile.

Apologies for the stupid question!! But, do you mean the "Scotch" type pancakes?

I've been having a look online and thinking of fillings. (At least they won't go to waste in my house if I cannot manage them )

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.