• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug Carpenter
    Forum Member
    • May 2017

MND Register

When I was diagnosed, I assumed that my consultant added my details to the UK MND register, especially as he is one of the project leaders.

This may not have been the case. So two years on I've just registered.

The register seems to be such a basic first step in gathering information about our disease that I am surprised there are so few entries - about 1000 out of a population of ca. 5000 patients

Registration is quick and easy:

Doug
    Diagnosed April 2017

Thanks for the information you have supplied

I have just signed up today

PB

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
      Forum Member
      • May 2017

Brilliant PB!

Every little helps.

Doug
      Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Ellie
        Forum Member
        • Oct 2012

It's such a shame that your MND Register is based on self-registration - it's an unrivalled opportunity to gather so much important and relevant data.

For comparison, the Irish MND Register, rolled out in 1995, is compiled by searching Hospital Data for all major hospitals, the Death Register to capture those who died soon after diagnosis. Data providers are Consultant Neurologists, Neurophysiologists, Geriatricians & community-based Clinical Professionals - meaning it's automatic (anonymised) enrollment done by the diagnosing doctor/clinician, not by the person with the MND.

It's managed by the National MND Clinic and overseen by the Health Regulator. It also contains a DNA bank.

The data collected from such a long-running register is often cited in research and other papers. Our population is small, so it's a shame the UK MND Register (Scotland has its own) doesn't capture the whole MND population as it would have a much larger data capture.

Love Ellie.
        ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
          Forum Member
          • May 2017

Thanks Ellie.

You're right! Your system sounds so much better and comprehensive.

I was very surprised registration wasn't automatic in England.

Apparently the register is funded by the MNDA. I feel they should publicise it more.

I'll ask Mrs May to include it in the backstop!

Doug
          Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Deb
            Forum Member
            • May 2018

Good Luck with that one, Doug ! ��

I have just registered but like you I assumed it would be automatic, so thanks for sharing the information.

Love Debbie x

Comment

• Kayleigh
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2018

Thanks for your post about the MND Register Doug.

Perhaps there is already some collation of data about MND patients (whether they opt into the Register or not) - otherwise how could the current sum total of approx. 5000 MND patients be arrived at?
              Last edited by Kayleigh; 2 April 2019, 14:57.

Comment

• Ellie
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2012

Hi Kayleigh,

The prevalence of MND in the UK is known to be just over 7 people per 100,000, so that's where the approx 5,000 number of people living with an MND comes from.

Prevalence is the actual number of cases of people alive with the disease during a period of tie, e.g. now.

Love Ellie.
                ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Barry52
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2012

Like Doug I had assumed the data would have been recorded by the clinic where you are diagnosed but I found out that this was not the case. I have been encouraging our friends attending Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire groups to register their details but we must remember that not everyone has access to the internet.

Barry
                  I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Dis1960
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2018

Now registered. A bit disconcerting that the drop down still listed Hope Hospital but not Salford Royal

Comment

• nunhead_man
                      Forum Member
                      • Jul 2017

I have signed up too - but I am with you Ellie - I would have thought that the MND centres ought to be asked who the people are

After all, they were paid for in some part or other by the ice bucket challenge and I am sure they would know most of the folk with MND based on my experience of that is where I ended up once the various medical professionals I had contact with had some idea what I had.

I guess there will be some sort of data protection issue about lifting the names wholesale, but the centres could at least ask people for permission to forward their details?'
                      Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• Dis1960
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2018

Just a reminder - Please register if you can

Comment

Working...
                        X