Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Riluzole

Hi Andy,

The advice from the NHS is that 'you should not take medicines after their expiry date':-

http://https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/medicines/why-do-medicines-have-expiry-dates/

Perhaps the pharmacy didn't check the expiry date before issuing them to you?

Best wishes,
    Kayleigh
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 1st May 2019 at 00:59.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Good afternoon Kayleigh

Quote Originally Posted by Kayleigh View Post
    The advice from the NHS is that 'you should not take medicines after their expiry date':-
    Interesting – as I mentioned elsewhere I saw my neurologist last Thursday and asked that very question and he rang the King's Pharmacy who said that in the light of how that particular preparation was made. It was okay to carry on taking them for a month or so after the expiry date.

These are from Sun Pharma , which I take in preference to the Glentech ones as they burn my mouth.

Warmly

Andy
    Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.

Thanks for the update Andy.

It appears that the advice about expiry dates on the NHS website is not strictly correct for all medication-.as there is some flexibility about when Riluzole actually needs to be used by. I will be very wary about what I read on the NHS website in future.

Best wishes
    Kayleigh
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 13th May 2019 at 20:29.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    I have a couple of spare boxes if anyone is in urgent need.

Good evening,

As I said above I prefer the tablets from Sun Pharma , which I take in preference to the Glentech ones as they burn my mouth.

So I went into my pharmacist today to get my next 6 month supply and lo and behold, he gives me the Glentech ones, knowing full well I do not like them at all, saying he cannot get the Sun Pharma ones.

Does anybody have any information?

Warmly

Andy
    Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.

Hi Andy;

I have got Riluzole Teva without any trouble (NOT GLENTECH BRAND prefers teva or actavis)

Speak to the pharmacist and if need be your doctor about the real problem with the Glentech ones.

Love Terry

I have Sun Pharma Riluzole this time for my 3 month supply from the local Asda Pharmacy. This is the first time that my prescription has gone to them and the first time that I've had this brand (Glentek usually from Tesco and the local pharmacy near to our previous house). I hope that Asda can keep getting Sun Pharma because they are much easier to take. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.