Thread: Shoulder and arm pain

Shoulder and arm pain

For a few months now since my right arm has got weaker my shoulder and arm is really painful. The nurses are aware but sometimes they forget and will pull it when dressing or rolling me. It is agony and the pains stays for a while. Anybody else have this problem?

Hi Pink;

I think that my muscles lock up when people try to move them and they require gentile manipulation or I need to help them by knowing what they plan to do a couple of seconds before. Fortunately my muscles are still strong enough.

Maybe they can do some range of movement on you shoulders and arms so that they get used to moving in different ways. Heat beforehand would help as would probably increasing your anti spasmatic drugs like Baclofen.

Hugs, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi, yes I've had pain in my shoulders for quite a while now, my right one first i was getting treated for a rotator cuff until I was diagnosed with MND last March,I can't move this arm at all now.
    I've only got a little movement in my left arm and being rolled onto my side's to get dressed is very painful in my shoulders and having them lifted to have my arms put through is agony. Even though i get my clothes 2 sizes bigger and get them in stretchy material.
    Last edited by Bernie; 26th April 2019 at 12:45.

Hi Pink and Bernie,

Sorry you both have painful shoulders - I hope neither of you have torn rotator cuffs...

Pink, what manual handling manual did those nurses read that they roll you by pulling you by the arm

I wonder if injections would help??

I had a very stiff / frozen shoulder and had a steroid injection into the shoulder, which reduced the pain and enabled me to do passive range of movement (ROM) exercises to keep the joint mobile.

A few years later I had a nerve block injection (lidocaine) into muscles in my scapula, which again reduced pain and enabled me to do ROM and keep the joint and muscles moving and painfree. I had a repeat injection a few months later.

Injections are great when physio or ROM is too painful - by the time the effects have worn off, the muscles are usually free to move. And dressing, although unfortunately painful for you both right now, is good for ROM.

It might be the case the muscles are tight so, as Terry said, an antispasmodic such as Baclofen will decrease the tone and make it easier to move, once a degree of ROM is restored.

Pink, has the hospice physiotherapist been to see you about the shoulder?

Hope you both can get relief.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    I use a heated wheatbag.
    It's heated in a microwave and needs caution as they can get very hot. I've also had acupuncture which has been very effective.