Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: One for the ladies!

Forum Member
    LOL

I have question back Kayleigh are knickers pants or underwear in your country ? I thought they were pants, but if the expression is 'Red shoes, no knickers' then it sounds like underwear to me? I never heard that expression before but probably because 'knickers' is not word used here.

We rarely say 'trousers' here it does mean pants, but its an old school term for them, sometimes the pants of a man's suit could be referred to as 'trousers', but again rare. We say pants and if it's the pants are denim material we say jeans.

No stockings either, remember those ?? bare legs, but its been that way for awhile now.

Commando is liberating....give it a try Barry, just kidding lol best to keep warm especially in the winter time

xox

Hi Kayleigh

I'd not heard the red shoes bit, but my mother's phrase for girls of dubious reputation was "Fur coat and no knickers".

What's this cc! Stockings are on their way out? I hope not!!!!!

Doug x

Its a long time since I've seen anyone wearing a fur coat Doug!

Maybe I remembered the saying incorrectly or perhaps the animal rights peeps got the saying changed to make it more politically correct!

Kayleigh x

Maybe my mum made the saying up to try and put me off buying red shoes, because she thought they were too racey?! But she didn't put me off wearing bright red lipstick and matching nail varnish!

Quote Originally Posted by Kayleigh View Post
    CC - A question for you, if you don't mind - Are trousers are called pants in America?

Love Kayleigh xx
    Hi Kayleigh,

Trousers are called pants in the north west of England - and it's very confusing! I call trousers 'trousers' and the things I wear underneath I call pants. However, my carers all call trousers 'pants' and they call pants 'knickers'! We have some strange conversations when they are trying to dress me!
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Forum Member
    Faux fur maybe...

Sorry Doug no stockings anymore. Unless you mean lingerie stockings those never go out of style, they still part of your present lol

xox

Quote Originally Posted by ccinjersey View Post
    LOL

I have question back Kayleigh are knickers pants or underwear in your country ? I thought they were pants, but if the expression is 'Red shoes, no knickers' then it sounds like underwear to me? I never heard that expression before but probably because 'knickers' is not word used here.

We rarely say 'trousers' here it does mean pants, but its an old school term for them, sometimes the pants of a man's suit could be referred to as 'trousers', but again rare. We say pants and if it's the pants are denim material we say jeans.

No stockings either, remember those ?? bare legs, but its been that way for awhile now.

Commando is liberating....give it a try Barry, just kidding lol best to keep warm especially in the winter time

xox
    Hi CC,

Yes it is a bit confusing!

Pants = short word for ladies or gentlemen's 'underpants'.
    But as Dina has helpfully pointed out, trousers are called pants in the North West of England. I wasn't aware of that until today, and so perhaps trousers are also called pants in other parts of the UK!

Knickers = same as ladies underpants (but the word sounds less boring than the word 'pants'). If they have frills on, they are called 'frilly knickers'. (Frilly pants just wouldn't sound right!).

Jeans are denim trousers.

There are 'trousers' (which are what they are called if they are not made of denim)

Sometimes trousers are called 'chinos' - I take it that's because they are made of chino fabric??!

Trousers that are short (approx on the knee or above) are called shorts (no matter what type of fabric they are made of, even the denim ones). Many many years ago I think that they were referred to as 'short trousers' but it's just 'shorts' now.

'Capri pants' are longer than shorts but shorter than trousers.

'Cropped trousers' are shorter than trousers but longer than capri pants.

Another word for trousers is 'slacks' - but I haven't heard that word used much and so it might be a word that the people on the forum who are a bit older than me might use? - I won't suggest any names though, in case I get a virtual slap on the wrist PMd to me! LOL

We sometimes say 'oh pants!' or 'oh knickers!' instead of using a swear word like 'oh d..mn!' (I missed out the letter 'a' in case swear words aren't allowed on the forum!). Although very polite people might not say any of those 3 options at all! -:they are more likely to say 'oh dear!' or 'oh fiddlesticks!'

We might also say 'that's pants!' instead of saying 'that's rubbish!'

We have tights (I think in America they are called 'pantyhose'?) and stockings.

My explanation is probably as clear as mud!! It's interesting that the word 'knickers' isn't used in America - But have you heard of a 'knickerbocker glory' ?

Love Kayleigh xx
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 2nd May 2019 at 22:05.

Forum Member
    Hi Kayleigh

No I never heard of 'knickerbocker glory' is it British clothes ?

We say capri pants as well which sound the same as your capri pants

Tights, are for little girls and they come in colors.

Do you have Leggings there ? stretchy tight pants with elastic waist, usually very soft and comfortable and can be worn with no panties LOL

xox

I want to give my support to red shoes as I have 3 pairs.

Kayleigh I think you have too much time on your hands but I often chuckle at your posts so keep it up.

Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi CC,

You've probably have something similar to a Knickerbocker Glory in America - it's the name of an ice-cream sundae over here:-
    http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/knickerbockerglory.htm

Tights are worn by women and girls here. Probably because it is usually too cold to go outside with bare legs - especially in the Winter!

How do you cope over there going outside in the Winter with bare legs? - or maybe you usually wear jeans or pants/trousers outside when it gets really cold?

I don't mind bare legs indoors in the Winter, because I have my heating on quite high ... and too high according to my husband! LOL - "Why's the heating on so high Kayleigh, it's like a sauna in here?" - Perhaps men don't feel the cold as much as women do? Lol

I couldn't go outside in the Winter with bare legs because it would be way too cold! - but I do in the warmer Summer months. However, I do like to put some self tan on my legs, otherwise they are so pale that they could be mistaken for 2 pints of milk!! LOL.

We do have leggings, but if they are thin and you don't wear a top long enough to cover your butt, there is the risk of what is frowned upon over here as VPL (the dreaded Visible Pantie Line! LOL) - your solution about not wearing anything under the leggings gets rid of that problem though!

I remember years ago, going to aerobics classes and I wore a leotard over my leggings - it sounds a bit odd now, but it was highly fashionable in those days! - I wanted to look just like Jane Fonda in her aerobic workout videos!! LOL It must have been a very long time ago as it was in the days of video cassettes rather than DVDs!

We also have jeggings, which look like jeans but are made in legging material instead of denim - I think?!

I hope much warmer weather will arrive soon so that I can start wearing my Summer dresses. We've had a few sunny days recently - but definitely not warm enough for me to turn the heating off yet!

Love Kayleigh xx
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 3rd May 2019 at 01:25.