Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ccinjersey

Faux fur maybe...

Sorry Doug no stockings anymore. Unless you mean lingerie stockings those never go out of style, they still part of your present lol

xox

Comment

• Kayleigh
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by ccinjersey View Post
      LOL

I have question back Kayleigh are knickers pants or underwear in your country ? I thought they were pants, but if the expression is 'Red shoes, no knickers' then it sounds like underwear to me? I never heard that expression before but probably because 'knickers' is not word used here.

We rarely say 'trousers' here it does mean pants, but its an old school term for them, sometimes the pants of a man's suit could be referred to as 'trousers', but again rare. We say pants and if it's the pants are denim material we say jeans.

No stockings either, remember those ?? bare legs, but its been that way for awhile now.

Commando is liberating....give it a try Barry, just kidding lol best to keep warm especially in the winter time

xox
      Hi CC,

Yes it is a bit confusing!

Pants = short word for ladies or gentlemen's 'underpants'.
      But as Dina has helpfully pointed out, trousers are called pants in the North West of England. I wasn't aware of that until today, and so perhaps trousers are also called pants in other parts of the UK!

Knickers = same as ladies underpants (but the word sounds less boring than the word 'pants'). If they have frills on, they are called 'frilly knickers'. (Frilly pants just wouldn't sound right!).

Jeans are denim trousers.

There are 'trousers' (which are what they are called if they are not made of denim)

Sometimes trousers are called 'chinos' - I take it that's because they are made of chino fabric??!

Trousers that are short (approx on the knee or above) are called shorts (no matter what type of fabric they are made of, even the denim ones). Many many years ago I think that they were referred to as 'short trousers' but it's just 'shorts' now.

'Capri pants' are longer than shorts but shorter than trousers.

'Cropped trousers' are shorter than trousers but longer than capri pants.

Another word for trousers is 'slacks' - but I haven't heard that word used much and so it might be a word that the people on the forum who are a bit older than me might use? - I won't suggest any names though, in case I get a virtual slap on the wrist PMd to me! LOL

We sometimes say 'oh pants!' or 'oh knickers!' instead of using a swear word like 'oh d..mn!' (I missed out the letter 'a' in case swear words aren't allowed on the forum!). Although very polite people might not say any of those 3 options at all! -:they are more likely to say 'oh dear!' or 'oh fiddlesticks!'

We might also say 'that's pants!' instead of saying 'that's rubbish!'

We have tights (I think in America they are called 'pantyhose'?) and stockings.

My explanation is probably as clear as mud!! It's interesting that the word 'knickers' isn't used in America - But have you heard of a 'knickerbocker glory' ?

Love Kayleigh xx
      Last edited by Kayleigh; 2 May 2019, 21:05.

Comment

• ccinjersey

Hi Kayleigh

No I never heard of 'knickerbocker glory' is it British clothes ?

We say capri pants as well which sound the same as your capri pants

Tights, are for little girls and they come in colors.

Do you have Leggings there ? stretchy tight pants with elastic waist, usually very soft and comfortable and can be worn with no panties LOL

xox

Comment

• Barry52
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2012

I want to give my support to red shoes as I have 3 pairs.

Kayleigh I think you have too much time on your hands but I often chuckle at your posts so keep it up.

Barry x
          I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Kayleigh
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2018

Hi CC,

You've probably have something similar to a Knickerbocker Glory in America - it's the name of an ice-cream sundae over here:-

Tights are worn by women and girls here. Probably because it is usually too cold to go outside with bare legs - especially in the Winter!

How do you cope over there going outside in the Winter with bare legs? - or maybe you usually wear jeans or pants/trousers outside when it gets really cold?

I don't mind bare legs indoors in the Winter, because I have my heating on quite high ... and too high according to my husband! LOL - "Why's the heating on so high Kayleigh, it's like a sauna in here?" - Perhaps men don't feel the cold as much as women do? Lol

I couldn't go outside in the Winter with bare legs because it would be way too cold! - but I do in the warmer Summer months. However, I do like to put some self tan on my legs, otherwise they are so pale that they could be mistaken for 2 pints of milk!! LOL.

We do have leggings, but if they are thin and you don't wear a top long enough to cover your butt, there is the risk of what is frowned upon over here as VPL (the dreaded Visible Pantie Line! LOL) - your solution about not wearing anything under the leggings gets rid of that problem though!

I remember years ago, going to aerobics classes and I wore a leotard over my leggings - it sounds a bit odd now, but it was highly fashionable in those days! - I wanted to look just like Jane Fonda in her aerobic workout videos!! LOL It must have been a very long time ago as it was in the days of video cassettes rather than DVDs!

We also have jeggings, which look like jeans but are made in legging material instead of denim - I think?!

I hope much warmer weather will arrive soon so that I can start wearing my Summer dresses. We've had a few sunny days recently - but definitely not warm enough for me to turn the heating off yet!

Love Kayleigh xx
            Last edited by Kayleigh; 3 May 2019, 00:25.

Comment

• Kayleigh
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Barry52 View Post
              I want to give my support to red shoes as I have 3 pairs.

Kayleigh I think you have too much time on your hands but I often chuckle at your posts so keep it up.

Barry x
              Hi Barry,

I thought that you were only 52, but now you've revealed your age on the other thread .... I bet they are the 3 pairs of red platform shoes you wore in the 1970s! LOL (I know, I probably deserve a clip round the ear for being so cheeky - but you'll just have to settle for sending me a virtual 'clip' - ha,ha! LOL).

It's OK if you go ahead and wear your red shoes as much as you like - just remember to get the full 'racey' effect by wearing bright red lipstick and matching nail-varnish as well! .... and please upload a photo of you looking full-on 'racey' - I will look forward to seeing it as your next avatar picture! LOL

.. and the saying 'red shoes, no knickers' will definitely apply to you! - because we all know you wear long-johns instead of knickers anyway - or perhaps you save your frilly-knickers to wear on special occasions? Lol

Love Kayleigh

P.S. I don't have a lot of time on my hands - I just type very quickly .. and they don't call me 'Kwick-fingers Kayleigh' for nothing, don't you know!! LOL

PPS. And no, I still don't ever sleep!! I'm like TC, I have cat-naps instead! LOL
              Last edited by Kayleigh; 3 May 2019, 00:47.

Comment

• Kayleigh
                Forum Member
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by ccinjersey View Post
                Hi Kayleigh

No I never heard of 'knickerbocker glory' is it British clothes ?

xox
                Hi again CC,

Although a Knickerbocker Glory is the name of an ice-cream sundae, it could be possible that it is also a style of Victoria's Secret knickers - but you'd have to ask Doug about that!! (Just to clarify - he buys them as gifts for his lady friends, and not to wear himself - well that's what he said anyway!! LOL )

Love Kayleigh x
                Last edited by Kayleigh; 3 May 2019, 00:43.

Comment

• ccinjersey

Hi Kayleigh

I googled your knickerbocker glory its very much like our ice cream sundae.

No panties, no pantie lines, no worries lol

Leg warmers in the winter time especially in the North East we even wear them over pants.

Don’t know if men are hotter then women, but my husband is like a walking radiator he is always hot even the winter time. He is like a heating blanket for me on those freezing cold nights we have here lol

Turning warmer here, air conditioning well be on soon enough, our winters are freezing, our summers are boiling.

xox

Comment

• Lynne K
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2017

Knickerbockerglory is a a lovely desert. Its in a high glass with fruit (most have strawberries and/or raspberries) , ice cream, whipped cream and pieces of biscuit. Some put chocolate on it, other options available. These days often comes with a mini umbrella in it and a long handled teaspoon sized bowl end. Yum yum in the past but I'm off sweet stuff so not for me any longer
                    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Gillette
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Lynne K View Post
                      Knickerbockerglory is a a lovely desert. Its in a high glass with fruit (most have strawberries and/or raspberries) , ice cream, whipped cream and pieces of biscuit. Some put chocolate on it, other options available. These days often comes with a mini umbrella in it and a long handled teaspoon sized bowl end. Yum yum in the past but I'm off sweet stuff so not for me any longer
                      I used to love knickerbocker glories when I was a child. We went on holiday with a friend of the family and he promised he would buy me a knickerbocker glory every day. Huh! He only bought them on three days out of the week. I never forgave him...
                      Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
                        Forum Member
                        • May 2017

Just keeping this fascinating transatlantic sartorial thread moving…..

Was it George Bernard Shaw or Churchill who said “Great Britain and the United States are two countries divided by a common language”?

[Sorry Doug no stockings anymore. Unless you mean lingerie stockings those never go out of style,]

CC – please could you explain lingerie stockings as opposed to simply stockings. I am hoping that they are sheer garments designed for allure rather than warmth that I think of as just stockings. If so, I’m delighted to know they are still around in the US. The earlier post worried me in that it suggested the memories of my youth and the fantasies of old age are falling out of favour!

Thanks!

Doug x
                        Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• ccinjersey

Hi Doug

That's a great quote!

I happen to speak New York, that's a completely differently language then what the rest of the US speaks LOL

Kayleigh said it best pantyhose are nylon stockings one piece that go up to a woman's waist, but we also call them stockings. Older generation might still be wearing them along with bras and panties but not the younger ones.

Lingerie stockings are two individual sheer stockings need to attach to garter belt sort of thing, never go out style, so hang on to the memories and fantasies lol

CCxox

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
                            Forum Member
                            • May 2017

Phew!

Thank you CC.

It’s good to know that, despite MND, some things never change!

Seriously though, I would never have guessed that stockings = pantyhose (Bloody awful things!) in the US.

Aaaaahhhhh, garter belt (= suspender belt in the UK). Uncomfortable to wear sometimes I’m told, but glorious to behold. But I think I’d better stop now or I’ll get us banned!

Big hug

Doug x
                            Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Kayleigh
                              Forum Member
                              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Kayleigh View Post
                              Hi Barry,

I thought that you were only 52, but now you've revealed your age on the other thread .... I bet they are the 3 pairs of red platform shoes you wore in the 1970s! LOL (I know, I probably deserve a clip round the ear for being so cheeky - but you'll just have to settle for sending me a virtual 'clip' - ha,ha! LOL).

It's OK if you go ahead and wear your red shoes as much as you like - just remember to get the full 'racey' effect by wearing bright red lipstick and matching nail-varnish as well! .... and please upload a photo of you looking full-on 'racey' - I will look forward to seeing it as your next avatar picture! LOL

.. and the saying 'red shoes, no knickers' will definitely apply to you! - because we all know you wear long-johns instead of knickers anyway - or perhaps you save your frilly-knickers to wear on special occasions? Lol

Love Kayleigh

P.S. I don't have a lot of time on my hands - I just type very quickly .. and they don't call me 'Kwick-fingers Kayleigh' for nothing, don't you know!! LOL
                              PPS. And no, I still don't ever sleep!! I'm like TC, I have cat-naps instead! LOL
                              Hi Barry,

I love your new avatar picture that you uploaded today! - Was the photo taken while you were on your cruise?

I hastily retract my suggestion that you should wear red lipstick and matching nail varnish with your red platforms - you are handsome and gorgeous enough without it!

I hope you and you wife have a wonderful Bank Holiday weekend.

Love
                              Kayleigh xx

Comment

• Barry52
                                Forum Member
                                • Mar 2012

Hi Kayleigh,

Yes the photo was taken during the recent cruise. I thought it was time to change my avatar as the previous one sports 2 black eyes and yes I should have used make up to hide it.

Have a great weekend.

Love Barry xx
                                I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Working...
                                X