Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVLA Enquiry

Forum Member

DVLA Enquiry

Hi everyone,
    I've received a letter from DVLA saying they have received notification from an anonymous third party who thinks I shouldn't be driving with MND.
    Honestly, some kind soul thinks MND isn't a bad enough problem on it's own.
    I need to provide all my medical details AGAIN and they may require me to take another driving test.
    I already have to renew my licence every three years because of MND.
    Has anyone else been asked to take a test?

Hi Double D

When I was diagnosed I was told I must notify the DVLA. I did so and after much form filling and information from my consultant I was given a three year licence. The same as I'd get anyway. No test.

Doug

Hi Double D,

Oh, what a pain!

Like Doug, I informed DVLA when I was diagnosed but that is a completely situation from the one you are in. I would guess that, having had someone actually question your driving, DVLA are duty bound to investigate. I can only imagine how you are feeling.

Have DVLA stopped you driving whilst they investigate? If not, it may be worth having one or two driving lessons if DVLA decide that you must sit a driving test, just to check that you haven't picked up some naughty habits.

Wishing you the best of luck with this.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Hi Double D

My experience is the same as Doug and Dina in that I now have a 3 year licence after a bit of a tangle with forms et cetera.

There should really be no problem if you are self certifying - do you happen to know what the anonymous person said exactly as to why you should stop?

Of course, if the Daily Fail is correct, it might be your GP

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rt-secret.html
    Last edited by nunhead_man; 2nd May 2019 at 08:10. Reason: Update
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

Hi DD;

They can't make you take another driving test! They can't stop you driving without any real proof of continuous dangerous driving. They might ask your Doctor, my doctor saw me when the hospice said should I be driving, he just said you'll know when to stop.

Then they could ask you to take a driving assessment. it is no way like a driving test. There they would do a reaction tests, a diving simulation, read a number plate and then a drive around on normal roads.

They are there to help you through it and advise on car modifications if you require them. It is a low key affair and they should try to make you more relaxed.

Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 1st May 2019 at 19:53.

There are some guidelines on the Government's website that might be helpful:-
    https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions

Best wishes
    Kayleigh

I similarly informed the DVLA about my diagnosis as soon as I got it. I downloaded the forms, filled them in and sent them. They wrote back to me to ask for my consultants postal address. I'd already given it but gave it again. Soon after I got a call from my consultant and she asked me if I could still drive. She said that the DVLA had written to her. I said yes as I was perfectly ok to drive having only recently given up being a driving instructor. I got a 3 year medical licence without having to have a driving assessment. Who was the nosey Parker who contacted the DVLA about you DD? Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi DD,

Terry is right about your right to drive while the DVLA check your medical records. In most cases they will issue a 3 year licence but in some cases it may only be 12 months. If you are asked to take a competency test you will have to pay for it. From memory it is around £90 and there are centres throughout the UK.

As you say life with MND is difficult enough without some miserable b*****d spoiling your ability to get around. There are many people with disabilities who drive adapted cars so I wouldn’t concern yourself.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Barry,

My veiw was that if someone wanted me to take the driving assessment then they could pay for it, and they did.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    I have no idea who it is or what they've said. DVLA won't say. My GP and neurologist have no concerns about my driving.