Thread: Dangerous Talk

Forum Member

Dangerous Talk

Hi,

I watched the BBC 'Trust Me' following the horrendous experience I had in Salford RFT for 2 years.

My heart sunk when the nurse actor talked of a guy wanting to die who had MND. It was coincidental that the topic came up but what really hacks me off is that the prevailing wisdom is that people with MND want to die.

Let me say here, I WANT TO LIVE. I have had MND for over 11 years.

The problem with the BBC pedalling this line is it causes huge discrimination issues. e.g. the hospital put a DNR on me because I had MND. I am currently facing other huge challenges caused by society discrimination. I WANT TO LIVE.
    Last edited by Graham; 10th May 2019 at 01:25.
    Copyright Graham

Hi Graham,

I also watched the program and was surprised to hear MND referred to. I believe in freedom of choice for the person with the disease. Since there is a campaign for the right to die there is bound to be views on both sides.

The hospital treating you had no right to apply a DNR. One way of avoiding this is to complete a Respect document and make sure family and a GP has a copy.

https://www.respectprocess.org.uk/

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Barry,

The BBC now naturally go to the MNDA when visiting the 'right to die' and 'assisted suicide' topic and it really is doing us no favours. It devalues our worth.

What was equally STARTLING on the BBC-Ambulance last night was a judge slapping a gentleman on the wrist with a suspended sentence for murdering his wife with a cosh because 'I can't cope with caring for her'. More like he couldn't be bothered in these austere times. We had BETTER BE ON GOOD BEHAVIOUR, OR ELSE...'.

Best wishes,
    Graham
    Copyright Graham