Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PEG operation.

Thanks for the link Kayleigh. I'm now clued up. Lynne x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Dina and Lynne,

I just happened to see it when I was 'doing some googling'. (It's one of the 'Patient Information Leaflets' that can be downloaded from the Salford Royal website).

I hope you are having an enjoyable weekend.

Love Kayleigh xx
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    I was only in hospital for just over half a day for my RIG.

Forum Member
    Hi Ellie,

Thanks for your reply, I love the term cushions, I will be adopting that loving term for my own extra carriage

My husband has lost between 2 - 2.5 stone since diagnosis in December but we put that down to muscle rather than weight if that makes sense?

He has great difficulty with both manual dexterity and breathing and is now somewhat reliant on his Nippy which he has been using for the last couple of weeks, at first just overnight but now more often than not in the daytime.

I cant imagine him considering a feeding tube as it just represents yet another thing he cannot do as a result of this poxy disease

Xx

Forum Member
    Thats quick work Martin, I suppose my PEG took longer because the procedure is different and I had previously had a gastric sleeve fitted some years back, which reduced the size of my stomach and made the op a little more complicated

Forum Member
    My PEG took 4 days in hospital to fit. The hospital said they needed a day to ensure my stomach was empty and a couple of days post-op to be sure there had been no "complications" arising from the operation, or issues with subsequent use. The actual op took less than 30 min!

Hello Peter and welcome to the forum,

It sounds like the hospital was very thorough with your care, which is good.

I hope things are going well with using your PEG.

Best wishes
    Kayleigh
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayleigh View Post
    Hello Peter and welcome to the forum,

It sounds like the hospital was very thorough with your care, which is good.

I hope things are going well with using your PEG.

Best wishes
    Kayleigh
    Thanks. My PEG was a "better too soon than too late" decision. So although it is religiously flushed and rotated, I'm still consuming the feeds through a straw! This isn't a gourmet experience, but it's a lot quicker, and can be done anywhere without drawing attention!

Hi Peter. Welcome Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Peter and a warm welcome to the Forum nobody wants to join...

Good to hear your feeding tube is in place for if or when you need it. Do you eat any food or just take the sip feeds?

I use a pump for my feed and have been in various places with the pump quietly feeding me and nobody is any the wiser

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.