Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emotional lability

Forum Member
    Thanks Kayleigh

Coincidentally we received a letter from MNDA this morning about this very thing.

It's good to hear you have already received a letter Polly.

I find the local support the MNDA offers is very helpful and makes me and my husband feel less isloated. I hope you and your husband find that your local support is helpful too.

Love and best wishes,
    Kayleigh

Quote Originally Posted by Gillette View Post
    Hi Terry,

I hope you don't mind (I don't think you will) but may I ask a question about the laughing, please? Does the laughter happen purely as a physical response, so that you may laugh even though you may be sad, angry or whatever emotion. Or is it that the emotional lability causes you to have inappropriate emotional responses sometimes, which trigger laughter because you find something funny?

I hope you can understand my questions: I was tying myself in knots trying to explain what I meant!
    Dina,

I'm sorry but I copied and pasted your post out of Mama Ric's thread as I am sure you wouldn't want this sensitive topic to go off point and upset Mama Rics - I hope you are not offended...

Perhaps delete that post and we'll continue talking about Emotional Lability here because it is also an important topic.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Dina,

I'll give you my experience of my mild Emotional Lability (aka PBA PseudoBulbar Affect)

I've the 'laughing type' too, which, if I could choose to have either the laughing or crying type, I'd opt for the laughing type as it's associated with a better general mood. Some people are affected by both laughing and crying.

In me, it manifests itself as heightened emotions, for example, if I'm stressed or nervous, I'm likely to laugh, not outrageously nor for long, but audibly and for me it releases tension in myself but can cause tension in my poor husband

If I watch a sad film or documentary, I can laugh instead of cry. Again, not uncontrollably, but it would be deemed 'inappropriate' if my family didn't understand the reason why.

Because I cannot speak and say empathetic things like, "oh, isn't that awful" etc., I cannot diffuse my emotions and temper the Emotional Lability (EL) erupting.

That said, I'm very lucky in that I only have mild EL and it doesn't interfere with my day-to-day life, nor do I need to take antidepressants for it.

Hopefully this gives you an insight into how EL affects me - others will have different stories.

Love Ellie.

Thanks for being it up Dina,

I have I would say medium emotional liability, and I don't take anything for it.

I think that the frontal lobe area of the brain can be sometimes affected by Mnd. This area limits emotions but they are created elsewhere. For me, it happened quite early on and does not seemed to got any worse.

I do laugh when things are funny but I also can laugh at the wrong times, especially when with my wife. I can have uncontrollable laughter with funny things, like when I am saying and thinking something funny using my taking machine.

I also cry with films etc, I quite often can't watch things or watch a film over seven days when I calm down enough to take a bit more.
    I also cry when people are very kind or caring, not just to me but anyone or anything nice.
    So weddings, funerals, some music, well loads of things, even meeting old friends are a almost no no.

I took citalopram for three days and I noticed a difference with controlling my emotions but I felt like it affected my movement so I stopped. This is not a fair trial because it takes two or three weeks to get used to most drugs and I probably could have taken half a tablet.

Please post things where you think is relevant , Ellie and me might redirect them in certain cases. I still love you.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Would you give the Citalopram another try Terry, half a tablet even, as you said, given the side effects are usually transient?

I hate the thoughts of you missing out socially

Love Ellie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Dina,

I'm sorry but I copied and pasted your post out of Mama Ric's thread as I am sure you wouldn't want this sensitive topic to go off point and upset Mama Rics - I hope you are not offended...

Perhaps delete that post and we'll continue talking about Emotional Lability here because it is also an important topic.

Love Ellie.
    Hi Ellie,

Thank you for copying my post onto this thread. I certainly didn't want to dilute or divert MamaRic's thread and I apologise for not thinking before commenting.

As you rightly suggested, I have deleted the offending comment.

Sorry, everyone.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Hi Ellie, hi Terry,

Thank you both for your descriptions of how EL affects you. I have a clearer idea of what it's like. I can imagine it is difficult to cope with for the sufferer but also those around her/him.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Hi Dina;

You was thinking and it was relevant to my post on MamaRic's thread. No need to apologise for you posting there.

People, don't worry about posting in the wrong place, just post and we can redirect you if we think it warrants it. Most threads change directions, sometimes a few times.

Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 17th July 2019 at 18:06.

Hi Ellie;

I will probably have to try it again for special occasions but I am the way I am.

Another thing is when I am laughing at funny things, I can't do anything, not even see. I also do literally LOL, bit like Jimmy Carr:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwBITscRcGs

But worse.

It's me now.

Love Terry