Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: new member / single person

Forum Member
    Thanks Barry. Today I climbed out of my front doorstep to put rubbish in my rubbish bags. Another difficult task as I have to keep one hand on the handlebars that my OT arranged to be fitted to my front door. Like you said I was trying to be positive and carrying out a task I was used to ( and it was necessary as my kitchen bench was full of paper, cardboard and plastic or glass rubbish, each requiring putting into a different rubbish bag ). But , as ever with MND, positive attitude and kick back with a new negative incident. My front doorstep is quite high but with the door handles I have been able to climb up and down it safely and my weak right leg has the strength to do the climb. But today it didn't and it was the first time I had never been able to climb that step. I tried several times but eventually had to press my lifeline pendant and wait for the team to assist me back into the house. So, that will add to my anxiety now and I won't be able to climb up and down that doorstep to access wheelchairs ( for ambulances or a company I use to take me out in wheelchair accessible cars). Hopefully the doorstep can be modified (eg extra step fitted) but I can't imagine that will be done till the new year. Happy days.

Hi Panniertank

Unfortunately MND has a nasty habit of moving the goalposts when you think you have it sussed. It can feel as though itís impossible to stay one step ahead.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Forum Member
    Hi Gillette,
    I see your location is Greater Manchester. I went to university in Manchester ( back in the 80's ) and use to drink with my mates in a local pub which was popular with students and also local citizens ( sadly it's a pub that is long gone now ). When speaking with northerners about various things my non northerner mates and me used to laugh about a saying the northerners had;- " oh well, life's hard and then you die ". . It made us laugh back in those young days but, it is a very simple and very true saying. Especially now!!

Panniertank , my youngest daughter is in her second year on an English degree at Manchester Met. She had an offer for Manchester but preferred the course outline at Manchester Met. What did you study? I did Sociology as a mature student at Live 1994 /1997.

I hope that your front step gets sorted out quickly. Lynne x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Hello Lynne. I studied an engineering degree and back in those days it was at UMIST. After working a number of years I went back to uni to do a masters degree. I don't think or feel I am exceptionally intelligent ;- I felt I got my degrees through concentration and hard work. When I look back on my life they were one of the hardest things I did but also one of the things that make me feel I have had a good life. Stretching my brain as far as it would go;- almost equivalent to climbing a steep mountain for my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by panniertank View Post
    Hi Gillette,
    I see your location is Greater Manchester. I went to university in Manchester ( back in the 80's ) and use to drink with my mates in a local pub which was popular with students and also local citizens ( sadly it's a pub that is long gone now ). When speaking with northerners about various things my non northerner mates and me used to laugh about a saying the northerners had;- " oh well, life's hard and then you die ". . It made us laugh back in those young days but, it is a very simple and very true saying. Especially now!!
    Hi Panniertank
    Although I live in Greater Manchester Iím actually a southerner (shock, horror) so a lot of the sayings up here are a mystery to me. However, my late husband (also a southerner) used to say the one you mentioned.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Hi again Pan.. Same here. I was discounted at school, refused to do GCE's despite having a career idea that needed biology GCE. They didn't seam to care. Only my Art teacher had confidence in me and put me into an Art and Design GCE. I got a Grade 1 English Language CSE so could have easily done a GCE in that. I was very interested in all things Sciences so I could have done Biology and Chemistry GCE. But left school feeling that an injustice had occurred and they had written me off.

I did an Access course aged 39 after my kids had grown up. That was equivalent to 2 A Levels so University access level. I got various percentages and averaged 73%. That gave me immense satisfaction and Liverpool University was the following year. When I first entered the University Library I was elated. Looking around my eyes got a real treat.

Like you I had to work hard for every piece of work. But by the second year I knew what they wanted so it was like building a wall. Thr bricks were my research, reading, note taking and keeping up to date with current social policy on extracts, the radio, broadsheets and TV. I thoroughly enjoyed it despite the obvious stress. I left behind the feeling that I'd carried since school. It altered my whole outlook and lead to a lifetime of critical enquiry and love of reading. I recommend it to anybody of any age who is prepared to work hard. Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 21st December 2019 at 20:15.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne. That sounds like a big achievement especially achieving it in your 40's. And on top of your other massive achievement of being a mum. Well done.

Thanks Pan...' X