• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandy124
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2017

Hi All,
    Ibudilast tablets arrived from Japan this week without a problem at a cost of £650 for 1000 10mg tablets.
    At 60 mg a day I reckon thats almost 6 months worth so cost for a year is around £1400 or just over £100 a month.
    60 mg combined with Riluzole was the doseage for the phase 2 trial where there were some promising results.
    The current trial has upped the dose to 100mg a day.
    I see the main side effect as being nausea so I've decided to gradually introduce the tablets and get to 60mg over a week or so and see how I cope, fingers crossed!

Comment

• Ellie
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2012

Hi Mandy / Mr Mandy?

Really hope it works out well for you and preliminary results did show Ibudilast showed more promise in bulbar-onset people, of which you are one.

Best of luck getting to grips with the nausea - I wonder if a PPI to line your stomach would help? Maybe try Kwells motion sickness tabs (check re long-term use) or the traditional remedy of ginger? I know the anti-nausea prescribed meds are only meant for short-term use but your GP may have a solution.

Best wishes.

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Vivek
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2019

Dear Mandy

So pleased for you and hope wish n pray this suits you well and that it’s effective
        The literature does support use of both medicines. Pl keep us posted

BW

vivek

Comment

• Jer788
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2018

Yes I do. Sorry for the late reply.
          Br Jerry x

Comment

• Lynne K
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2017

Ibudilast is now being put on a 2b-3 trial according to ALS News. They are recruiting now for people that haven't had their MND diagnosis for more than 18 months. Any of you that are in the US please read, and others for your interest read on. Heres the link to the article:
            7https://alsnewstoday.com/2019/06/07/enrollment-starting-soon-in-phase-2b-3-trial-of-ibudilast-for-als/

Lynne
            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Jer788
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
              Jerry, the clinical trials which showed positive outcomes for people with ALS were, and are, based on taking Ibudilast as an add-on therapy to Riluzole. And that's the basis of their patent, currently being considered by the US authorities.

Does your Neuro have to initially prescribe it or can your GP prescribe it? IDK what the UK protocol is, but I know someone will jump in to clarify it if you aren't quite sure.

Love Ellie.
              Hi Ellie, I’ve been on the Ibudilast now for about 3 months with Riluzole and I can’t see any benefits. I am still deteriorating quite rapidly but as other things we all take it’s difficult to evaluate. I ordered Edaravone again as I felt this was beneficial but it has been seized by customs 3 weeks ago and am awaiting an update. I am considering contacting my MP who has been supportive in the past.
              Jerry xxx

Comment

• Ellie
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2012

I'm sorry to hear that Jerry.

Do you know on what basis the Edaravone was impounded? I'd ask whomever it takes to get it released - I thought one can import a 3 month supply of meds for personal use if they're legal?

Obviously neither your GP nor Neurologist will write a script for the drug so you can get it from the Netherlands, albeit at a higher price and maybe only until 31st October, even though you tell them you've benefitted from it in the past?

Love Ellie.
                ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Jer788
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                  I'm sorry to hear that Jerry.

Do you know on what basis the Edaravone was impounded? I'd ask whomever it takes to get it released - I thought one can import a 3 month supply of meds for personal use if they're legal?

Obviously neither your GP nor Neurologist will write a script for the drug so you can get it from the Netherlands, albeit at a higher price and maybe only until 31st October, even though you tell them you've benefitted from it in the past?

Love Ellie.
                  Hi Ellie, no I don’t know the reason yet only that they’ve seized it and have asked if HMRC have been in touch. Customs are funny. Last month they charged me £25 import duty on my Ibudilast but this month nothing 😜
                  Hope you’re doing ok.
                  Luv Jerry x

Comment

• Jer788
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2018

Hi Mandy, how is the Ibudilast going. I’m having nausea problems again.
                    Regards Jerry

Comment

• Mandymc
                      Forum Member
                      • Sep 2019

Hi Jerry it's Dave my husband that was taking it he became ill with a bug and stopped taking it as it made him breathless and has not gone back on it. Not sure he is going to go back on it as he has gone down hill a bit since the bug and picked up one or two other bugs that have been going around. He did find to start on a low dose and gradually increase it worked better, sorry I can't help anymore than that,
                      Mandy

Comment

Working...
                      X