Thread: Travelling with a Nippy

Travelling with a Nippy

Good morning all

The breathing team that is part of the support team I look to have decided I need a nippy for overnight - I have the new version 4 with the version 3 as a backup and have already had a 2nd version 4 as the 1st 1 was giving a fault.

Anyway, my question is with flying in a couple of weeks time and I guess I need to take this with me. So what we do?

Do airlines generally allow a nippy as a 2nd item of cabin baggage or what they do?

Best to all

Andy
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

Forum Member
    We get a fit to fly letter and the consultant put in the letter that it needs to be carried onboard. we are flying 2.5 hrs next wk and already im nervous

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Bef...I-travel-with/

http://https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions

Hi Andy

You might need to get advice from the airline you are travelling with concerning what they allow in hand luggage and any documentation they need, but there is some general information on the caa website and government website (links posted above).

I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Best wishes
    Kayleigh
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 22nd May 2019 at 14:15.

Quote Originally Posted by shrew View Post
    We get a fit to fly letter and the consultant put in the letter that it needs to be carried onboard. we are flying 2.5 hrs next wk and already im nervous
    Hi Shrew

I hope you and Mick have a wonderful holiday.

You might already know about free 'Special Assistance' that should be available for Mick, if he needs it.

Special Assistance needs to be booked in advance and there is further information on the caa website:-

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/PRM...n-your-flight/

Love Kayleigh x

Hi Andy,

The main advantage of declaring medical equipment is that it is carried in addition to your luggage allowance.

You should check your airline's website as to their policy on medical equipment - you may need a 'Fit to Fly' cert completed by your doctor, irrespective of whether or not you'll actually use the Nippy inflight, this info will also be on the website.

How long is the flight? (Lucky you!!)

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Thanks, we have assistance both here and Girona and his fit to fly. When we asked nurse she said day flights . It is Mick's European bike meet. Of course he always went on the bike, now its the wheelchair

Hi Shrew,

Hope you & Mick have a lovely time at the meet and your flights are hassle free.

Love Ellie.

Forum Member
    Thanks Ellie x

Hi Ellie, Kayleigh and Shrew

Thank you for the advice - we will get onto this if my use of this device stabilises - I am half minded to leave it at home and then get back to it when I come back.

The flight is fairly short - this is our annual pilgrimage to a Dru yoga retreat which we have doing been doing for years - the teachers do great with my hand movement difficulties. Although my nidras do not look anything like they used to.

Best wishes

Andy
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

I think it's very opportune that you do yoga Andy - its benefits of stress relief and enhanced breathing control should translate well as management tools in MND.

Love Ellie.