I'm Katski, and my Dad is in his 60s. After a crisis in March last year he was sectioned under the Mental Health Act and was in and out of hospital (mostly in) for a year while doctors tried and failed to come up with an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment. In March this year, thanks to the persistence of a very kind doctor, he finally underwent some neurological tests which revealed that he had MND (as well as what they've now decided is treatment-resistant psychotic depression, which is mostly under control). This was a bit of a smack in the face for me and the rest of the family, as at least with the mental illness there had been some hope of recovery. We're told the MND is progressing quickly, and he's been transferred from the mental hospital straight to a care home. He can't stand or walk unaided but thankfully he's started talking since the move to the care home, after a scary couple of months where he just didn't respond verbally to anything in the hospital, but he's just sad all the time. I'm the only other member of the family who also has depression so I (for better or worse) can empathise with him a bit more than everyone else, and it's just excruciating to know he's like this and that there's no timescale for when it might end. His favourite hobbies were gardening, hiking and painting, and he can't do any of those now. I don't think I really qualify as a carer as I haven't lived with my parents for several years and they're a couple of hours away from me so I only visit about once a month, but I am a person who cares.